• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DMG - breaking bounded accuracy already?

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
It's not just a 22 strength it could be a 40 strength if you got your hands on 20 books, because it increases the maximum.

Other things that break bounded accuracy, armor +3 with a shield +3, bow +3 with arrows +3.

I know it's a legendary weapon but the fact a Moonblade can have finesse quality on a versatile weapon also opens up some high damage exploits combining sneak attack and great weapon style.

A fighter with +3 plate, +3 shield, Defender sword, ring of protection and defensive fighting style has an AC of 18+3+5+3+1+1= 31.

31! come on nothing is bounded in this game.

Not surprised of another post of how this edition stinks or is broke. The guy in the other thread about the 5th level wizard vs a tarrasque had it correct. Clearly I'm early into my ennworld profile but I'm already choosing to ignore certain people that irritate me with constant meta gaming, whining about broken this or that.

Last edited:

Uchawi

First Post
Every game has bounds for accuracy. The only thing I don't like about 5E is the impression they don't care about players that would like to add more depth or a deeper range to the bounds, and have a clear understanding on how it impacts the game. In other words, 5E should introduce a sets of rules to increase the bounds, like adding materials to armor, weapons, DR, etc. or to monsters, and explain how the DM has to manage it. Versus add any magic you want, but the DM gets to figure out. The developers assumption is no magic items is the default, so we are not going to deal with the concept of expanding the bounds. Once again, that is my impression.

Quartz

Hero
Could there be a very easy solution? Simply say that magic is never cumulative when applied to the d20 roll? So [MENTION=13009]Paraxis[/MENTION]'s fighter never gets a bonus of more than +3 to AC from items? Or more than a +3 bonus to hit from the bow and arrow? What would be the side-effects of this?

Fanaelialae

Legend
Could there be a very easy solution? Simply say that magic is never cumulative when applied to the d20 roll? So [MENTION=13009]Paraxis[/MENTION]'s fighter never gets a bonus of more than +3 to AC from items? Or more than a +3 bonus to hit from the bow and arrow? What would be the side-effects of this?

IMO, the side effects would be much the same as if you didn't give out both magic bows and arrows / magic armor and shields in a campaign. Which is to say, not broken in the slightest, but the Fighter isn't going to get excited over finding armor + 3 if he already has + 3 shield. Slightly better in the case of magic bows and arrows, since the damage bonus would still stack, although getting only + 3 damage from a very rare consumable item (arrow + 3) seems a touch lacking (this of course assumes the archer already possesses a bow + 3).

If I were concerned about stacking bonuses, I'd simply avoid putting in shields and arrows with pluses. There are still plenty of other good options you can use to reward a defender or archer (Spellguard Shield / Arrows of Slaying) which have nice benefits but no pluses.

The biggest issue I can see is the potential for disappointment if you roll treasure randomly and the party finds + 2 armor that the Fighter doesn't need because he already has a + 2 shield, and no one else in the party can use it. Depending on your group that may be a complete non-issue.

CapnZapp

Legend
...players that would like to add more depth or a deeper range to the bounds, and have a clear understanding on how it impacts the game...

In other words, 5E should introduce a sets of rules to increase the bounds, like adding materials to armor, weapons, DR, etc. or to monsters, and explain how the DM has to manage it.
If you truly had a clear understanding of how "more depth" in the form of larger bonuses impacts the game, you would have known why introducing such rule sets is a bad idea, and should not be done.

(Hint: adding larger bonuses in no way makes the game "deeper". Only more broken.)

Cheers,
Zapp

TrickyUK

Explorer
Our DM has just given 2 books out! One for the fighter (who has one level of rogue) and is Dex focused, a manual of quickness. And for the wizard, a tome of clear thought. We are currently level 4.

KingsRule77

First Post
The combinations of events that would make this 'breaking' possible are so ridiculous it isn't worth a thread to discuss it.
Sure you could have all this items and get multiple tomes and roll all 18's to start and go up a level every session and ... And...

.. And your DM is a moron if this happens.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Our DM has just given 2 books out! One for the fighter (who has one level of rogue) and is Dex focused, a manual of quickness. And for the wizard, a tome of clear thought. We are currently level 4.

He's deviating from the standard (which is his prerogative). The DMG clearly warns that doing so can make the game easier. As such, he's hopefully ready to deal with the result.

Remove ads