DMs, Do you allow your group(s) to play Evil PCs and/or parties, & why?

DMs, Do you allow your group(s) to play Evil PCs and/or parties, & why?

• Yes - any alignment from the PHB is fair game.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • No - Only goodly aligned PCs are allowed.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Shades of grey - Only goodly aligned & Neutral PCs are allowed

Votes: 57 50.0%
  • Pitch Black - Only evil PCs are allowed.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I don't use "Alignment" in my game

Votes: 9 7.9%

Magic Rub

First Post
Tom, though you may never read this, I'm very sorry! It was not my intent to piss you off. I thought that would have been funny. Again, I'm quite sorry.

...and no, I don't think I will go to "[EDIT]". But thanks for the suggestion. (meant as a light and fluffy comment with no spite or malice)

Sorry I thought my last post would have been taken a lot more... light & fluffy.

I was also wondering about this example of alignment paradox. Lets say you play a Good Undead slayer, a kit from 2e in which you are hell bent on killing all Undead. What happens when a good undead, say an Elvin lich is encountered & killed? Your PC won't feel guilty, because of your zeal/need to slay all undead abominations. However all around you may feel that what you did was inherently evil.

Last edited:

Tom Cashel

First Post
No offense. I overreacted, and I edited my comment.

You see, I don't really have much respect for the idea of playing "evil" characters, and I'm just trying to understand what the big draw is. Or even trying to understand why my prejudice is wrong. I have yet to find out.

As for your example, I'd say the paladin is obviously wrong, because the lich is good. A paladin who was truly good would try to atone for the mistake. One who had a one-track devotion to the destruction of all undead might have a harder time retaining paladinhood. Either way, it makes for interesting role-playing.

(And do you really want to post that long and (forgive me) exceedingly sarcastic sig with every comment? Seems a little over-the-top. ;) )

Psion

Adventurer
No evil in my game without prior DM collusion. :)

Even CN comes under scrutiny. If a character puts CN on their sheet, I imediately require them to quantify their character's motivations. All too often, CN is a mere excuse to play a prankster with no real reason for being involved in the story. I can't abide by that. I refuse to twist a character's arm to get involved in the story session after session.

Good characters you can usually motivate with altruism, lawful with duty. But CN characters tend to be trouble IME.

Voadam

Legend
And chaotic and evil parties can be motivated by greed, lust for power and personal hate.

I have played a good character in a neutral and evil group. It was intense, particularly because one of the really evil characters was significantly more powerful than me. Manipulation and bluffing were essential, and I was able to get evil people (PCs) to fight greater overarching evils (NPCs and monsters).

I have a long standing campaign where the main PCs include two chaotic evil brothers (grugach assassins), a neutral evil drow wizard/cleric, and a drow ranger/fighter who has been corrupted from Chaotic good to now chaotic neutral with evil tendencies. they don't usually do things just to be nice guys, but they still have motivations and goals, even if it sometimes is really, really evil.

Eryx

First Post
I allow good and neutral only, no evil. I also frown on CN unless played better than "randomly".

I believe that D&D is a game of heroes and heroic adventure. Thats why I choose the above alignment limits. The characters are the good guys.

Magic Rub

First Post
Tom Cashel said:
No offense. I overreacted, and I edited my comment..

No prob. I hope all is cool.

Tom Cashel said:
You see, I don't really have much respect for the idea of playing "evil" characters, and I'm just trying to understand what the big draw is. Or even trying to understand why my prejudice is wrong. I have yet to find out.

Your prejudice isn't wrong, it's what you think and that's just fine.

Well here's my take on it... Evil parties that I've DM'd or played in were always lots of fun, & not the twisted "Murder, rape, kill" epics you may be envisioning.
From a DM's viewpoint they are fun to run because for once you are not the epic bad guy trying to FTW. Instead you are the just towns guards, or the high level (insert goodly NPC here). You have to think on a whole new level. What authorities know of the parties shady goings-on? What other evil factions are mad about the publicity that the PC party is steeling from them? There is a whole world of DMing out there that many people aren't exploring, or even open to the idea of exploring & it's sad. Why are so many DMs & PCs against the thought of allowing evil PCs, when nearly every DM plays & plots out things that would make Satan blush. As a DM if I didn't run such campaigns from time to time, I would be one twisted son of a &^@!~. A person isn't sick for wanting to play a villain, dark hero, or whatever you want to call it. D&D is a excellent out let for a persons Dark side. The side that everyone, YES EVERYONE has. It's safe, clean, and most importantly... All in your mind the place where your darkness starts, & the place where it should never leave.
From a PCs prospective, I myself, & my fellow party members keep the "evil" in check. It never degrades to far. We do not allow chaotic evil characters, no loyalties, no honour, no sanity, NO WAY. As a party, we are always joined by some type of common, nearly unbreakable bond, as friendship doesn't always cut it. Our plots are initially simple, a low level PC can only get in to so much trouble. They're for the most part pretty cloak & dagger, very intelligent, with lots of roll playing. Sometimes we're up against "Good" honest folk, but just as much of the time we're fighting an evil that is just as bad, or worst then we are. It's always interesting when nearly everyone wants you dead.
I think the reason why the idea of Evil PCs has gotten a bad reputation is because of the limitations most DMs put on the subject. The odd time a player gets an evil PC, he's/she's the only one, & the new found "Freedom" goes to his or her head, that's when is degrades past the point of "acceptable". If done "tastefully" (I know these are some strange terms but..) an evil campaign can be very cool.

So without going on about this forever, that's basically it.

Xarlen

First Post
Allright, *cracks his knuckles* let's get started.

First, I voted allowing any aligment. However, as the DM, I want to keep close tabs so the party doesn't slaughter one another.

Second, you want to know what allure playing an Evil character is? It's a seperation from Life. In life, society expects you to be good, and atleast decent to your common man (or woman), to do the right thing, yadda yadda. However, when you roleplay, you can extend yourself from that. That's the point, isn't it? ROLEplaying. Acting as someone else.

Play a game of Vampire. I know this is a D&D forum, but Vampire is an example of an 'Evil' game. You're plotting against people, maybe even your own, but it's a game of outsmarting. It can be brutal, but the most dangerous, the most Fun, IMHO, are those who are secretive, and *smart* about their evil-ness.

I think the allure of playing in a Well Run evil campaign has it's perks. Exploring not only how the characters respond (Be they neutral, and slowly sliding toward the dark side, because of choices that they have to make). I'm reminded of a Shadow Run game where, being a poor mage, I pointed a cop who let me off to some mobsters, because I needed money, else a corp was going to hunt me down, and the job I was doing for the Mobsters was foiled by said cop. The conflict, not the 'I don't care' attitude, is much more interesting then the blinding goodness.

Have you ever presented your party with young orcs? What did they do? Did they kill the young orcs, because they were Orcs, and would grow up to be Evil orcs, or did they let them go?

The only 'Evil' game I ran was one in High School, and it blew horridly because of the people playing. They were powergamers, and always looking to be the Strongest and the biggest.

And, I think that an LE, or even a NE person could slip into a party of good and neutral characters, if played right, if they are someone like... an NE bard. Going to save the Baron's son from an Aristocrat kidnapping? Surely the bard could use some, unsavory methods of getting the information, if the party isn't near.

I'll leave it with this. My party was in a wilderness, and in the middle of a Tribe war. On one side, the barbarians, and lizardfolk, who worshiped a white dragon, and on the other, Gnolls, and Frost Giants, who had allied with a Refugee town on the outskirts of the arctic. The whole area was at war over hunting ground, and religiously over the Dragon. Now, the Party helped out the pack of gnolls, because they were going to be sacrificed by the Lizardfolk. They were doing it because they needed a dragon egg, which the gnolls were being sacrificed over.

Is it evil, then, to help the gnolls? They're often an 'Evil' race. Or is it a goint business action?

*Shrug*

In my game I run you can play whatever you want - as long as you do not over distrupt the party. If you are I will have a quiet word :)

This does make some alignments difficult to roleplay correctly, but if you can make it your - more power for you.

Remove ads