D&D 5E DMs, how do you fudge?

This is how I, as DM, most commonly fudge during our 5e D&D sessions (choose up to 3):

• Dice rolls in favor of the PCs

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • Dice rolls in favor of the monsters/NPCs

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Monster/NPC HP during combat

Votes: 46 38.3%
  • Monster/NPC AC during combat

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • DCs

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I don't fudge - what is prepped is what there is

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I don't fudge - fudging is cheating

Votes: 24 20.0%
  • I don't fudge - I prefer other deserts

Votes: 19 15.8%

I roll almost all dice in the open. Some ability checks are the exception if it's important that players not know how well they performed. I strongly prefer games in which the DM does likewise.

I just "getting captured" is a typical fudge for a lot of DMs: the DM wants the PCs to get captured. So the DM sends a capture group of bad guys of after the PCs. Then has a random wacky combat...where the PCs roll high and the DM has to fudge things so the PCs get caught.
So fudging to keep the story line on the pre-written path? Why are you rolling dice again?

So fudging to keep the story line on the pre-written path? Why are you rolling dice again?
I never fudge: I never need too.

If I want something to happen or not happen: it just does or does not. I don't leave things up to rolls unless I want too.

When I do roll dice, I let the dice roll as they may. Whatever is rolled, is what happens.

Well, "I" never want things that depend on rolling dice , but powerful NPC foe might want to capture the PCs for a reason, then that encounter would be a optimized capture group. So chances are the PCs would be captured, unless the players really paid attention, focused, worked together and made sure that did not happen. But if the PCs did win, it would not disrupt anything. Though if the PCs don't take any action the foe is likely to try again...maybe. Or maybe the foe would try something else.

Remove ads