• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General DnD Stereotypes In The Home Game

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
They come up in threads all the time, but I have a wonder.

That is, how often do the various stereotypes of DnD actually play out in your home games?

Now, that’s a very broad question, so I’ll throw out some examples of what I mean.

1) Dwarves and Elves are racist toward each other

2) Half-orcs whose parents love each other are a rare exception, or even just nonexistent.

3) Halflings are just hobbits.

4) Villagers will literally attack “ugly” races on sight, even if they aren’t doing anything threatening and are well groomed and dressed. Ugly here means “monstrous” or otherwise very very not human (anything from Gnolls to Dragonborn)

Likewise, how have you rejected or subverted the stereotypes in your games?

Shiroiken

Legend
Halflings are hobbits, except they don't live in hobbit holes (they living in buildings like humans, albeit smaller). Otherwise, this is a pretty accurate list for my Gygaxian Greyhawk campaign. Of course, the race relations are far more nuanced, based not just on race, but also sub-race and culture (except half-orcs, everyone hates them).

Edit: current Ghosts of Saltmarsh campaign has only 2 normal characters (human and elf, both fairly local). There's an Aasimar, but they're hard to detect as different than humans. The Githyanki is given a wide birth, due to height and skin color, but most assume he's Baklunish (human ethnicity to the northwest). The Triton has caused quite a stir, with most people referring to him as the fish-man or mistaking him for a sea elf. The Firbolg caused a lot of problems, but the party vouched for him (he joined the campaign late and they met him on an adventure). They're an odd group, but since they've managed to keep from being seen as threats, they've gained at least a level of acceptance... for the moment.

Last edited:

Unwise

Adventurer
Most settings have some animosity between elves and dwarves, but it is cultural, not racial. You will find those that dwell in mostly human lands seldom have such prejudices. Its easy to be racist in a remote settlement, much harder in a cosmopolitan city.

Halflings come in distinct varieties. The river folk, gypsies and hobbits pretty much. Once again, their predilections are cultural, not racial.

Half-orcs are almost always a distinct racial group, they generally hate being called "half-orc". They have their own cultures, generally based around Kord worship. I play some as closer in culture to Warcraft Orcs.

Villagers are generally xenophobic, regardless of what exactly you look like. If they have not seen somebody like you before, they don't want you there. Whether that is because you are a cleric of a god they don't know, a 'feral' druid, an obvious magician, non-human looking or some sort of fey, come to swap their babies out for changelings.
By making the default village xenophobic, PCs tend to care about the ones that are nice to them e.g. places I want them to save from baddies. It also offers more realism and makes being a drow a meaningful and character defining choice.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I don’t agree at all that making the default villager xenophobic adds realism, but I love seeing folks worlds and preferences!

I’ll add my own tomorrow or the next day.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
1) Dwarves and Elves are racist toward each other
In my setting, there’s no particular animosity between dwarves and non-drow elves. Individual elves and dwarves may have their own opinions about the other race of course, but there’s no bad blood between their cultures. Dwarves and drow do frequently clash though.

2) Half-orcs whose parents love each other are a rare exception, or even just nonexistent.
Half orcs aren’t a thing in my setting. The half-orc racial traits are used for orc PCs, and the orcish Aggressive trait is an Orc racial feat.

3) Halflings are just hobbits.
This is an in-universe stereotype in my games. I’ll admit I got the idea from Scarred Lands, but I loved it so much I took it pretty much wholesale for my own setting, though I did elaborate on it a bit. In short, there has been a long history of halfling enslavement, and the idea of halflings as jolly, slightly dim, provincial folk who love nothing more than the simple, rural life on the farm was largely invented to soften the image of the halfling slave. The barefoot thing is a particularly egregious example, where slave-owners excused not providing their halfling slaves with proper footwear by making up nonsense about naturally leathery soles. Although slavery is less prevalent now than it was before the fall of Bael Turath, these misconceptions about halflings are still widespread, and most people don’t realize their oppressive origins.

4) Villagers will literally attack “ugly” races on sight, even if they aren’t doing anything threatening and are well groomed and dressed. Ugly here means “monstrous” or otherwise very very not human (anything from Gnolls to Dragonborn)
Definitely not the case in my games. Orcs are actually pretty well-integrated into “civilized” society, and while they have a reputation for being dumb and brutish, there would be no reason to attack them unless you knew they were part of a hostile tribe. They occupy basically the same conceptual space as half-orcs do in standard D&D. Dragonborn are a rare sight, and certainly intimidating, but they have a reputation for being a noble, if proud, race, and are generally viewed with awe rather than hatred. Tieflings are an embarrassing reminder of humanity’s dark and more-recent-than-we-like-to-admit past, and their diabolic traits carry connotations of inbred Turathi nobility. But while they’re not exactly popular, many Tiefling families still hold a fair bit of wealth and power, and there are still a lot of Turathi sympathizers. At any rate, they are far from kill-on-sight. Gnolls are probably the closest to kill-on-sight you’d be likely to find in my setting. They are broadly seen as bloodthirsty savages by most of “civilized” society, but there are gnoll tribes with non-hostile relations with other peoples. Seeing a gnoll in one’s town would certainly put most people on edge, but if they’re not there with a raiding party, you can safely assume they aren’t there to cause trouble.

Likewise, how have you rejected or subverted the stereotypes in your games?
A lot of the common tropes about the standard fantasy races are stereotypes in my setting, although not all are nearly as harmful as halfling stereotypes. For instance, any given dwarf is no more likely to be a miner or a blacksmith than any given member of any other race, and they don’t particularly favor ale over other drinks. But the largest Dwarven settlements are in mountainous regions, which make precious metals an abundant resource for export and grain a highly demanded import; they also don’t mint coins, trading instead with raw materials by weight. So, the typical commoner from a human settlement could be forgiven for thinking of dwarves as a race of miners and craftsmen with an unhealthy obsession with ale when the only time he’s ever seen a dwarf was that time a group of them came by and traded a bunch of silver bric-a-brac for a few wagonloads of hops.

Bawylie

A very OK person
In my games, the NPCs are typical representatives of their faction, nation, religion, organization, or species.

Essentially, I use one NPC as a stand-in for the rest so that the players get a sense of what they’re all like. Because the NPC is a symbol for the larger group to whom they belong.

Now, when I have two or more NPCs from the same group (currently I’ve got about a half dozen NPC tagalong cohorts from the adventurer’s guild in one game, and the thieves’ guild in another game), then I differentiate them or silo them into expertises. One does the sneak attacking, one does the artillery, one does the melee, one is a smith, one is a healer, etc.

I do rely on stereotypes in the home game, but in fairness, I think of it more like archetypes.

In my current campaign, dwarves don't mine for gems, but they are experts at exploring the deep sea. They build steampowered submarines and use naval mines in combat. They also don't like being called 'dwarves'. They are after all a race of people (humans like the rest of us).

aco175

Legend
A lot of my home campaign plays to the typical. The PCs can play against it. It makes a baseline for each race and the individuals in each race can play against it. The players are surprised and suspicious when the orc wants to trade and talk over attack, or the halfling is not trying to pick their pocket. It also crosses etiquette in that if a noble was laying out a table for diner, then everyone knows to not sit the dwarf next to the elf, unless there was a plot thread for getting them into conflict.

Remove ads