D&D 5E DnDBeyond: on adapting genre to D&D

MarkB

Legend
I think the app that involves calling in other adventurers would be more like Tindr/Grindr/whatever. And the Monster Manual app, it's probably not free...
I had a similar app in one game I ran, for hooking up adventurers (freelancers) with patrons / clients. The app was called Lancer, and pretty soon that's what everyone called adventurers in that world too.

Remathilis

Legend
Both addition and subtraction are valid methods to mold the game.

Some of the most popular Settings ever (Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Ravenloft) were as much about limiting options as adding them.

Within reason though. All those settings still had elves, wizards and magic weapons, even if they didn't look or act like their Faerun contemporaries. None of them has attempted to replicate a GoT style setting without PC magic or demihuman PCs. I think the point is that amateur designers shouldn't attempt major revisions like those of the 3e d20 era or even The One Ring level, let D&D be D&D and then bend the assumptions to for the genre rather than reinvent the wheel.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Within reason though. All those settings still had elves, wizards and magic weapons, even if they didn't look or act like their Faerun contemporaries. None of them has attempted to replicate a GoT style setting without PC magic or demihuman PCs. I think the point is that amateur designers shouldn't attempt major revisions like those of the 3e d20 era or even The One Ring level, let D&D be D&D and then bend the assumptions to for the genre rather than reinvent the wheel.

Adventures in Middle Earth is an adequate counterpoint.

S'mon

Legend
An interesting article appeared on DnDBeyond that address converting D&D to other genres. They cite Eberron and Ravenloft as examples, and I wager it's going to be controversial here.

The link: Adapting Other Genres to D&D

Some of the cliff notes parts.

* Adapt the genre to D&D, not D&D to the setting.

* Try to limit restrictions for your players, esp to magic and magic items.

* Add rather than subtract options when possible.

* Find where D&D and the genre cross and focus on those.

* If you're genre requires extensive rewriting of the game, consider a better suited RPG.

Thoughts on his suggestions?

I'm having a fantastic time running Primeval Thule 5e, which definitely follows this advice of adapting genre to game, not game to genre. So IME it's good advice.

Remathilis

Legend
Adventures in Middle Earth is an adequate counterpoint.
But that's a completely different game designed by professionals. It actually proves his point: for the amount of work needed to adapt LotR to D&D and keep it genre appropriate, it's better to buy a different, better suited RPG instead.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
But that's a completely different game designed by professionals. It actually proves his point: for the amount of work needed to adapt LotR to D&D and keep it genre appropriate, it's better to buy a different, better suited RPG instead.

Hey, if something is worth doing...

As I said, it's not really necessarily helpful advise.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
To me it looks like good advice. If you want to depart radically from the D&D genre, use a different game.

His example is inane (revolvers in D&D), considering that the game has rules for revolvers. If you want modified D&D, modify D&D. No need to say "find a better game" if that is what is desired.

S'mon

Legend
His example is inane (revolvers in D&D), considering that the game has rules for revolvers. If you want modified D&D, modify D&D. No need to say "find a better game" if that is what is desired.

He says it's fine to ADD revolvers to D&D. The issue is with restrictions and alterations - to make a D&D game feel like Game of Thrones may require radical restrictions such that you'd be better off buying A Song of Ice & Fire RPG. OTOH you could add GoT elements to a 'Birthright' style D&D campaign.

Remove ads