D&D General Do armor proficiencies make sense?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Its almost like saying you have to learn how to wear clothes.

Casting penalties do seem to serve certain flavors of fantasy magic (like fae related
magic not working well if you are carrying a significant amount of iron metal armor) but by far not all.

Stealth penalties are usually over blown

And plate armor is in reality less of a movement hindrance than some lighter
armor and easier to wear by someone with lower stamina your mount carries
the weight while traveling so its even better while exploring.

We might include other ways of serving the tropes A barbarians Woad might
provide extra protection and intimidation benefits. A Wizards robes might allow them
to use Intelligence instead of Dex for defense

In 4e even if a fighter could use scale armor there were class features that encouraged using chain armor
if you wanted to shift your character towards a more striker functionality.

ch

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

I just take it as one of those (many) rules that derive from game balance not realism. And I'm ok with that. I realize that sort of thing bugs some people.

(Whether it's necessary or effective in terms of game balance I won't attest to.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Armor proficiency certainly make sense.

However, I would remove light armor proficiency (anyone can wear it and learn it's care with minimum training) and just have "armor proficiency" for medium and heavy armors.

I would then restrict magic use to the light armors only.

Stealth penalties certainly make sense for the bulkier and metal armors, but some of the choices don't quite jive. Why give padded armor (gambeson) a penalty? It is clothes and the layers are not as stiff as cured leather.

At any rate, I can hardly see how robes can use INT to boost AC... unless you make it via magic of course.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Why give padded armor (gambeson) a penalty? It is clothes and the layers are not as stiff as cured leather.

Maybe not as stiff, but they have some bulk to them. Think of how stealthy you are in a down jacket compared to without.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Well...you could just replace the armor proficiency and categories and just add a Str requirement equal to their AC bonus.

or go with the 13th Age model and have all character be able to wear any armor, but with increased attack/athletic/acrobatic penalties.
ex: Rogue armor table
Armor TypeBase ACAtk Penalty
None11
Light12
Heavy13–2
Shield+1-2

Cleric armor table
Armor TypeBase ACAtk Penalty
None10
Light12
Heavy14
Shield+1

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Maybe not as stiff, but they have some bulk to them. Think of how stealthy you are in a down jacket compared to without.

Considering it is clothes such as linen and such, I don't think the penalty would be so bad as to require disadvantage. That is my point. If leather doesn't have it, nor brigandine (a.k.a. studded leather), than neither should padded since it is certainly not any worse than the others.

G

Guest 6801328

Well...you could just replace the armor proficiency and categories and just add a Str requirement equal to their AC bonus.

I would be 100% in favor of this (or some variant of it) because it gives all classes a compelling reason to want higher Str, but I'd like to see the same thing done for all ability scores, beyond just their use with skills. In general all the classes, even the ones we call MAD, are far too SAD.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As a game mechanic, armor proficiencies make perfect sense.

Its almost like saying you have to learn how to wear clothes.

Yes. If those clothes are constructed haute coutoure runway stuff that isn't made to wear on the street.

Stealth penalties are usually over blown

No. Not really. I've worn a few types of heavy armor - it clatters and clanks and jingles and creaks. And, honestly, knowing how to position yourself so your armor take the blows in the best way is reasonable. I could compare the bruises from early in my armored-fighting days to later, and I clearly figured out some stuff along the way.

And plate armor is in reality less of a movement hindrance than some lighter
armor...

While there are folks who have demonstrated that heavier armors may not be quite as restrictive as they've been made out to be... that doesn't mean those people didn't have to practice before they could romp around like playground kids in the stuff.

We might include other ways of serving the tropes A barbarians Woad might
provide extra protection and intimidation benefits. A Wizards robes might allow them
to use Intelligence instead of Dex for defense

Not having pants on means you can think your way around a sword to the guts? I am not sure you have the same idea of "making sense" as I do.

Remove ads