• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do Monsters know about a Fighter's Combat Challenge?

Ginnel

Explorer
reff42 said:
here's the problem with this- enemies know they're marked. The mark is separate from the combat challenge. You smack an enemy and they know- I got smacked cause I'm marked and I did X. If you assume the enemies know this as soon as they're marked, then you should also tell the players that if you are bloodied, this guy will hit you harder (troll) or the green dragon has ongoing acid damage on you, you are vulnerable to mind poison.

Yes, it's a pain for the DM that each group of enemies must discover the players abilities themselves, but it's only fair that it goes both ways.
Well yes the players should know the effects of powers on them, unless because this is exception based design you decide that you want one or two effects to be suprises, like

DM:AC 20 Vs your will, as the tentacled horror fixes its alien eyes with yours

Player: ok that hits, gimmie the bad news

DM: (said with a sly grin) oh nothing

and then have said bad effect erupt in a round or two either the guy takes an OA on another party member or jumps in front of the monster to take a hit for it or something else equally nasty.

On the subject of describing monster effects to players with your examples.

A troll (more damage against bloodied foes)
When a foe is bloodied the troll looks towards them licking its lips a crazed look in its eyes (players can draw their own conclusion from that)
However when it hits you can describe it smashing down in glee aiming at your wounds, the troll inhales deeply and in a semi beserk rage drives its hammy fist towards your stomach.

The dragon (ongoing acid first)
The dragons spray of fowl green liquid hits you, your skin begins to feel warm any wounds you have feel like they are on fire.
The dragon (mind poison)
You try to keep your eye on your foe and concentrate on defeating it but the ongoing pain, disrupts your train of thought, you find yourself gazing in to the all too intelligent eye of the green beast. (make your roll)

There is however no reason for the player to know he is vunerable to another attack because he has been effected by another until he get hits by that attack, so just because theres ongoing poison/acid doesn't mean the player should know he can get mind poison, thats a nice suprise for him when the dragon trys it.

Scribble

First Post
I'd say yes, because even if it's a lowly creature with little inteligence, it will always seek to defend itself.

So it will know that turning its back on the dangerous fighting man will not be the best choice.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads