D&D 5E Do Psionic Organizations Still Have a Place in 5e?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Back in the days of 3e and 4e, there were some psionic organizations created for the Forgotten Realms setting, and a few beyond. One of my favorites was the College of the Eclipse, which was kind of THE academy for those with psionic talent.

That was in the days when psionics were a separate power source from magic. With 5e, psionics are a form of magic. The more I contemplate it, the more I think that maybe these separate organizations should exist. Or not all of them, at least.

For example, I can see a magic academy having courses for studious wizards and the more artistically-minded sorcerers. Some of these courses could be (for example) specialized forms of magic, such as the schools of magic. I kind of see psionics taught in that kind of way.

So what say you? Is there a place for psionic organizations still, or are they now a relic of the past?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I use actual psionic classes in my 5e games, so psionic organizations absolutely exist in my setting. But even if I ran with WotC I would still use them, because I don't like the idea of changing existing lore because the owning company decided it was too hard to make a psionic system that enough people to suit them liked.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Back in the days of 3e and 4e, there were some psionic organizations created for the Forgotten Realms setting, and a few beyond. One of my favorites was the College of the Eclipse, which was kind of THE academy for those with psionic talent.

That was in the days when psionics were a separate power source from magic. With 5e, psionics are a form of magic. The more I contemplate it, the more I think that maybe these separate organizations should exist. Or not all of them, at least.

For example, I can see a magic academy having courses for studious wizards and the more artistically-minded sorcerers. Some of these courses could be (for example) specialized forms of magic, such as the schools of magic. I kind of see psionics taught in that kind of way.

So what say you? Is there a place for psionic organizations still, or are they now a relic of the past?
In 5e, psionic organizations would be "factions". They can be for almost any purpose.

While psionic ability is innate, like the talent of an artist or athlete, one needs to train. So there will be organizations to help individuals excel.

There will be governments that weaponize psionicists, entertainment industries that use telekinesis and mind-effects for fun, scientists who explore the universe, and so on.

For my Norsesque setting, there is an ancient sacred tradition, where the leaders serve formally as shamanic seers, but the individuals can also use their psychic abilities for various purposes. This too is a kind of faction.

Do the Six Hidden Houses from 3e's Complete Psionics (pg. 141-144) count as world-neutral psionic organizations?

House Adon- Metacreativity
House Celare- Psychoportation
House Cogitare- Telepathy
House Incendar- Psychokinesis
House Novar- Clairsentience
House Waymin- Psychometabolism

At the very least, they have Dragonmarked House vibes. ;)

The factions or organistations are mainly lore, with no crunch. Then to be updated to the new edition should be easy. Even we could "borrow" ideas from other franchises.

The factions or organistations are mainly lore, with no crunch. Then to be updated to the new edition should be easy. Even we could "borrow" ideas from other franchises.
Unless the factions or organizations are like the Dragonmarked Houses in that a single species runs them. Then you could have a psionic subrace of that species running around.

Remove ads