D&D 5E Do Psionic Organizations Still Have a Place in 5e?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
In 3e I treated Psions Psychic Warriors as aligned to Monks rather than wizards. They were trained in cloistered monastic orders in the high mountains far from civilisation, I see no reason not to maintain this distinction. Wizards are trained in Arcane Academies, Psychics learn to focus in isolated monasteries.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
In 3e I treated Psions Psychic Warriors as aligned to Monks rather than wizards. They were trained in cloistered monastic orders in the high mountains far from civilisation, I see no reason not to maintain this distinction. Wizards are trained in Arcane Academies, Psychics learn to focus in isolated monasteries.
Why isolated?

A telepath might need to be around people to develop skills. Similarly a prescient.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Why isolated?

A telepath might need to be around people to develop skills. Similarly a prescient.
Because it fits the archetype of the cloistered ascetic learning to 'overcome distraction' learn 'focus' and gain 'mastery of mind over matter' - I prefer that to the business of an urban setting.
Isolation also helps maintain the fictional separation of psionics and more 'mainstream' arcana

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
There are currently (in 5E) psionic subclasses--is that enough for an organization?
No.

No.

sure they have a place, all they need to do first is stop letting the magic system devour anything else vaguely supernatural.
Exactly. Good luck convincing WotC of that though.

Why isolated?

Because psionics, generally speaking, requires concentration and clarity. A place overflowing with thoughts is one where a person would reasonably struggle to focus on one single thought, on one specific mind, on one particular object.

Almost invariably in psionic fiction--one of the few things that approaches universality even if it isn't truly universal--the idea is that dense hives of individual minds, e.g. cities, are very bad for developing the foundations of psionic discipline, because you're being constantly beset by SO MUCH information. Overstimulation is usually portrayed as inducing a psi-sensitive person to wall themself off from their power in order to avoid going crazy. (Oftentimes, main characters are powerful but untrained, and thus have to "un-learn" their mental blocks before they can learn to channel their tremendous power.)

Chaltab

Adventurer
Just because there are not official published resources to mechanically play something doesn't mean it does not belong in your world. It means you have to write your own or seek them elsewhere, or otherwise keep it in the background. Thus it has always been in TTRPGs

They haven't came back with Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, White Raven, Setting Sun and the other schools of fighting, I doubt they're thinking of those psionic organizations from 3.5e.

Remove ads