D&D 5E Do Psionic Organizations Still Have a Place in 5e?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Why did flared trousers go out of style? Fashions changing is what fashions do, there is no reason for it.
Again, that's chronological snobbery. "It's not fashionable, so we shouldn't do it" isn't an argument, it's pure dismissal with no justification beyond "it's old, and being old is bad." Old is neither bad nor good in and of itself. New is neither bad nor good in and of itself. What was wrong with the "very 70s" psionics that means we shouldn't do that anymore?

Again, that's chronological snobbery. "It's not fashionable, so we shouldn't do it" isn't an argument, it's pure dismissal with no justification beyond "it's old, and being old is bad." Old is neither bad nor good in and of itself. New is neither bad nor good in and of itself. What was wrong with the "very 70s" psionics that means we shouldn't do that anymore?
No one is saying it’s bad. But businesses make money by selling what is fashionable, not what is unfashionable.

That...has nothing to do with answering the question I asked.
This one you mean: "What was wrong with the "very 70s" psionics that means we shouldn't do that anymore?"

They answer is, there is nothing wrong with you doing it, but don't expect anyone who is aiming to run a profitable business to do it for you.

1970s psionics is fine. Like Hush Puppies, wide collars and Ford Cortinas.

WoTC is unlikely to bring back a 5e version of Tome of Battle: Book of 9 Swords.
Even if they aren't because the format of special things a weapon user can do (such as masteries and certain subclass abilities such as Battlemaster maneuvers and Monk abilities), it doesn't mean they can't not use those schools from Tome of Battle.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Not at all--not for a generic organization. But an organization for the promotion of a specific skill set should have people who...y'know...actually possess and cultivate that set of skills.
I'm still confused. Are you saying that a psi-warrior doesn't possess psionic power in the fictional world, just because his powers don't have a separate set of mechanics in the rulebooks? I don't see why the rules should dictate the fiction in this case.

To approach it from another angle: divination is in no way mechanically separate from other sorts of arcane magic in the 5E rules. In your view, does this mean a Circle of Diviners has no place in 5E? Because I see no barrier to having one in a campaign world. Surely it's all flavor?

1970s psionics is fine. Like Hush Puppies, wide collars and Ford Cortinas.
Hush puppies are delicious.
hushpuppies.jpg

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Increasingly, I am seeing the Primal power source and the Psionic power source to be the same thing.

The only difference is, the Psionic tends to emphasize the mind of a Humanoid, or an Astral (or Antiastral Aberration). Meanwhile, the Primal tends to emphasize the mind of a natural feature of the Material Plane, or relatedly the Fey and maybe the Shadow.

Generally, Arcane and Divine are two sides of the same coin, relying on the "weave" of cosmic magic.

By contrast, Primal and Psionic are two sides of the same coin, relying on an individuals own personal "soul", including the idea that a mountain or a river has a kind of soul.

Remove ads