D&D 5E Do We Really Need a Lot of Gold? (D&D 5th Edition)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
More like 600 reading this thread. They want rules for castles and strongholds, running a kingdom, thief guilds, merchant guilds, temples, the shipping industry, magic shops, and more.
The OSR game Adventurer Conqueror King was explicitly designed with all these aspects of the game in mind. It works great, and can be easily adapted to 5e with a little elbow grease.

This represents a disconnect between the game as presented in the rule books versus presented in campaign length adventures. Nothing in the rule books point toward zero downtime, rocketing toward mid levels and then just up and quitting at the beginning of the really interesting part of the game. Yet here we are.
probably the one AP that models the adventure-downtime-adventure style of play, and the only one I've been at all interested in running, is ghosts of saltmarsh (which incidentally I think does have rules for buying ships). I sense that there is interest in more sandbox adventures, where its more about player agency in choosing scenarios than them doing the One Big Quest.

I recently started running Blades in the Dark and am struck by how well downtime works because its an integral part of the game with a discrete, codified mechanical structure. It makes it easy to run and foregrounds to the players what they need to do in order to achieve their long term goals, allowing them to get into the "strategy" aspect of downtime.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'd recommend Strongholds and Followers for something that is already made for 5e. It has the added bonus, UNLIKE ACKS, of not being made by a white nationalist.
Matt's work is pretty good; a friend of mine recommended it and I liked it well enough. I still prefer ACKS for the sheer breadth and depth of material. It's very well thought out, and springs from a historical foundation more often than not. If there are ways to spend gold in D&D that aren't in ACKS, I dont know what they are.

As to your other objection, I get it, and wholly respect that reason to pass on ACKS. But I choose my gaming material based on personal interest and what I can use for a game, not on politics.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You just made me want to buy 10 copies of ACKS the way that article misrepresents people like milo that is the exact opposing of a fascist.

Mod Note:
Do whatever you like with your money.

EN World does not support such intolerance as that man espouses. If you feel a need to back that, do it elsewhere.

The political bent of this thread ends now, folks. This is about gold in D&D, not political media talking heads.

Remove ads