D&D 5E Do you ACTUALLY use 3rd Party Books?

In the last 2 years, has your group used 3rd Party content in your game?

• Yes, we've used player content AND monsters

Votes: 152 64.4%
  • Yes, but only monsters

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • No, but I'd allow player content AND monsters

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, but I'd allow monsters

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • No, I don't allow 3PP

Votes: 20 8.5%

• Poll closed .

In the game I am in now we use Tome of Heroes for some downtime activities, Magical Medieval Society Western Europe (3e) for setting up manors & such, various 3pp adventures, plus some monsters (not sure how many are from monster supplements or from adventures).

When I was running d&d, I used various 3p adventures, mmsw:we, allowed a class from online sources, and probably some other stuff.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've gotten good use out of Kobold Press Midgard Setting and Mosnter books. And I play DCC and Call of Cthulu as well, but those aren't D&D properly so I dunno if "third party" is accurate.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Magical Medieval Society Western Europe (3e) for setting up manors & such
MMS:WE is one of the greatest third party books of the 3E era. It makes me sad how few people remember it now. (To be fair, the company that publishes it has since gone all-in on 1E stuff, so that limits how well known they are outside those circles now.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've gotten good use out of Kobold Press Midgard Setting and Mosnter books. And I play DCC and Call of Cthulu as well, but those aren't D&D properly so I dunno if "third party" is accurate.
DCC is a D&D derivative. Goodman is open about their desire to make it the game that OD&D "felt" like back in the late 1970s, rather than the game it actually was. It takes the gonzo way the game was often played (Nazis tanks versus D&D characters!) and bakes that into the actual mechanics.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
DCC is a D&D derivative. Goodman is open about their desire to make it the game that OD&D "felt" like back in the late 1970s, rather than the game it actually was. It takes the gonzo way the game was often played (Nazis tanks versus D&D characters!) and bakes that into the actual mechanics.
Yes, but it stands on it's own, unlike Kobold Press purely 5E support products.

MMS:WE is one of the greatest third party books of the 3E era. It makes me sad how few people remember it now. (To be fair, the company that publishes it has since gone all-in on 1E stuff, so that limits how well known they are outside those circles now.)

MMS:Silk Road was equally good.

Much of those books were so world-building foundational that it is essentially independent of any game system. There were some aspects that acknowledge specific spells, but they were sufficiently transparent on their rational that it can easily be guidance on how to leverage any other system's magic as it was more about the effect of the magic (flight, movement, lighting, earth moving, etc).

My only problem with them is more an acknowledgement that the majority of gamers will find it fairly boring conceptually and the remainder will become virtually addicted to it in an almost game-derailing fashion as they gleefully dive through the tables like Scrooge McDuck in his money bin.

Remove ads