D&D 5E Do you allow Bladesingers to cast Mending, Shillelagh or Magic Stone as part of the attack action?

ECMO3

Hero
Not hugely overpowered - but 2d6 self-healing as part of an attack action isn't bad either.

Not generally, however with a typical bladesinger I think it is pretty OP because they are generally running a super high AC.

7 hit points on a Bladesinger is like 20 hp on a fighter or 30 on a Reckless attacking raging Barbarian in terms of how many attacks you can take with it.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Not generally, however with a typical bladesinger I think it is pretty OP because they are generally running a super high AC.

7 hit points on a Bladesinger is like 20 hp on a fighter or 30 on a Reckless attacking raging Barbarian in terms of how many attacks you can take with it.
Yes, and bladesingers, in addition to high AC tend to have blur, or greater invisibility or mirror image.

A bladesinger that can self heal, especially for such a low resource cost, covers a major weakness of the class.

I don't care if it's overpowered or not. I care about the narrative logic of an ability that lets you fight and cast spells at the same time allowing you to cast spells ten times faster than normal.
Ok. What about the narrative does not fit? Actually I never noticed that the mending spell has a 1 minute casting time before...

Heal a person for 20 damage? Action. Repair something? 1 minute?

Ok. What about the narrative does not fit? Actually I never noticed that the mending spell has a 1 minute casting time before...
The narrative that a spell can be cast ten times faster by swinging a sword at the same time. Why don't all spellcasters use this method of accelerated spellcasting?
Heal a person for 20 damage? Action. Repair something? 1 minute?
Heal someone for 20 damage: resource cost. Heal a constrict for unlimited amount of damage: zero resource cost.

The narrative that a spell can be cast ten times faster by swinging a sword at the same time. Why don't all spellcasters use this method of accelerated spellcasting?
Good question. Why can't every caster cast a ritual oncer per day without the added 10 min casting time. Why only ritual casters?
Why is only the 20th level fighter swinging the sword 4 times as often as a level 1 fighter? Is the level one fighter dumb, or why does he stand there doing nothing most of the time...
Why can the level 1 fighter heal 1d10+1 damage in an action while everyone else has to spend an hour and a hit die?
Why is the wizard using reactions to defend against attacks, while the fighter does nothing with their reaction (like parry).

It is just a little oversight that does not break anything.

So while I would agree that the ability should state: a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action, reducing time to cast mending seems not overpowered.

Remove ads