D&D 5E Do you allow Bladesingers to cast Mending, Shillelagh or Magic Stone as part of the attack action?

ECMO3

Hero
How is your character getting to throw 2 stones and cast eldritch blast?

It was not throwing stones, it was using a hand crossbow:

Action
1 hand crossbow attack
1 EB per bladesinger extra attack

Bonus action:
Hand Crossbow attack per XBE feat.

Playing a Hexblade you get Charisma on all of those attacks.

It wouldn't break anything for Mending to be used with Bladesinger, but RAW it would probably start casting and not resolve for a full minute, eating up your concentration the whole time.

Shilleigh and Magic Stone could work, but don't generate any attacks of their own. So it would only be relevant if you were trying to save your bonus action for something else, just refreshing the cantrip duration/ammo.

TheSword

Legend
It was not throwing stones, it was using a hand crossbow:

Action
1 hand crossbow attack
1 EB per bladesinger extra attack

Bonus action:
Hand Crossbow attack per XBE feat.

Playing a Hexblade you get Charisma on all of those attacks.
Crossbow Expert only gives you a bonus action hand Xbow attack if you’ve just made an attack with a one handed weapon. It’s pretty specific. Are you presuming the bladesinger EB will count as that? It’s definitely not a one handed weapon.

I’m confused though. What has mending, Magic stone or message got to do with this build? I feel like i’m missing something.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I think this reasoning is valid. The Bladesinger ability does not specifically mention changing the casting time of cantrips, so it doesn't work with cantrips that do not have casting time of one action.
On the other hand, it is absolutely changing the casting time of whatever cantrip you use from (typically) 1 action to 1 attack.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Sometimes it is striking how well-meaning and clear-headed individuals can read the same sentence and come to radically different conclusions.
Starting at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. Moreover, you can cast one of your cantrips in place of one of those attacks.
The second sentence means one of two things:

1. Moreover you may cast one of your cantrips in place of one of those attacks. [i.e. giving permission for something normally not possible, if you choose, assuming other parameters are met]

2. Moreover you now have the ability to cast any one of your cantrips in place of one of those attacks. [i.e. removing the normal spell-or-attack choice and additionally allowing in some circumstances a reduced casting time]

To me, the plain meaning of the text is the former not the latter. You can cast a one-action cantrip as part of the attack action.

Can you cast a bonus-action cantrip? Yes, but I can see the case for no. In any case, you can also cast it with your bonus action, so unless you are using it for something else (which you might be), there's no benefit (and if you do use your bonus action to cast it, you can attack with magic stone or a shilleleagh as part of this anyways.)

Can you cast a cantrip that takes 1 minute? I would say no. I see the sentence as giving permission to substitute a spell, not changing the nature of the spell itself.

the Jester

Legend
I have seen several people here assert that 1 action is the 'standard' casting time for cantrips. I would be curious to see where you get that from- I don't recall anything in the rules about spells having a standard casting time at all.

I have seen several people here assert that 1 action is the 'standard' casting time for cantrips. I would be curious to see where you get that from- I don't recall anything in the rules about spells having a standard casting time at all.
Yeah, I don't see 1 action casting to be the standard/primary unit even if it IS the most common. And the Bladesinger doesn't specify any casting time restrictions.

Granted, I don’t think it absolves you of casting times either, like getting stuck casting mending for 1 minute. :p

ECMO3

Hero
Crossbow Expert only gives you a bonus action hand Xbow attack if you’ve just made an attack with a one handed weapon. It’s pretty specific.

It is specific.

From XBE -
  • When you use the Attack action and attack with a one handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a hand crossbow you are holding.

A hand crossbow is a one handed weapon. If you attack with a hand crossbow you made an attack with a one handed weapon. Since "you are holding" the hand crossbow you can attack a second time with it as a bonus action.

Are you presuming the bladesinger EB will count as that? It’s definitely not a one handed weapon.

No, a hand crossbow is a one handed weapon and counts as a one handed weapon you are holding.

I’m confused though. What has mending, Magic stone or message got to do with this build? I feel like i’m missing something.

Nothing, it was a separate part of the post.

Remove ads