D&D 5E Do You DM or Play with Flair?

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I’ve been hankering for a homebrew campaign, and I’ve got a few ideas to add a new spin on the old classics. Gygax and Arneson put campaign-inspired flair into many classes as they appeared, and I think it’d be fun if every class had a bit of flair. Potential rules details which I may have overlooked aside — I can always make a ruling as questions come up — what do you think of my campaign-inspired ideas? Do you like this sort of flair? If you ever DM, have you ever done anything like this?

The Barbarian
[sblock]
Barbarians are paragons of the nomadic lifestyle and chosen of the ancestral spirits, who grant them unique boons. The ability to channel the spirits’ wrath is foremost among these boons, and requires the utmost focus and respect for the spirits’ wisdom and will. As such, a barbarian must be of Lawful alignment, and must obey the code of the ancestral spirits: Never settle for the ‘civilized’ life, never respect a ‘civilized’ law, and protect always the ancestral tradition. If he ever violates this code or ceases to be Lawful, a barbarian loses the ability to rage as well as all other class features. If his trespass was unintentional or coerced, a sacrifice of rare animals and herbs equaling 500 gp in value and a return to all requirements is sufficient to return his class features.
[/sblock]

The Bard
[sblock]
Bards are traveling minstrels and storytellers, transmitters of news, national history, and the cultural touchstones of legend and myth. As such, bards play an integral role in the fabric of their culture and society, and are welcomed as honored guests by all thanes, chieftains, chiefs, and kings. However, the life of a bard has its downsides — all bards take an oath to selflessly reject all titles and lands which they might otherwise be granted, and the bard’s particular traveling lifestyle requires dedication to one’s country. As such, a bard must be of Lawful alignment, and is furthermore barred from all Evil alignments. A bard who becomes Evil or non-Lawful can no long advance in bard levels. A renewal of her oath, a voluntary tax to her king of 500 gp, and a return to the Lawful Neutral or Lawful Good alignments allows a character to continue gaining bard levels.
[/sblock]

The Cleric
[sblock]
Clerics are the ministers of communities, and each cleric is a messenger and vessel of all gods. Some clerics favor one god over others, but no cleric is foolish enough to exclude any god of recognized importance from his prayers and invocations, no matter how much he may find a particular god distasteful. As such, a cleric must be of Lawful alignment, and a cleric who becomes non-Lawful loses all cleric class features and spells. A return to any Lawful alignment and an atonement spell is sufficient to return these features and spells.
[/sblock]

The Druid
[sblock]
Druids take an oath to protect not just their own kin, not just their own race, not just sentient life — but even the wild beasts and untamed foliage of nature. This oath, taken in the presence of the druidic order and the great nature spirits themselves, is a formalization of the highest form of altruism — a consideration of all actions within the context of all life, undistracted by the ideologies of Law or Chaos. As such, a druid must be of Neutral Good alignment, must not knowingly associate with Evil characters, and must never participate is the wholesale destruction of a plant or beast species. A druid who ceases to be Neutral Good or who violates her oath loses all of her druid class features. If her trespass was unintentional or coerced, a daily sacrifice of her own blood and a return to all requirements is sufficient to return her class features for 24 hours. This sacrifice reduces her hit points by one-tenth, and must be continued for one month before she permanently regains her class features.
[/sblock]

The Fighter
[sblock]
Fighters are masters of battle, with expertise and resilience beyond that of other mortals, achieved through an utter and complete dedication to their art. This focus allows no distractions from ideological extremes or other arts. As such, a fighter must be of True Neutral alignment. A fighter who strays from True Neutrality loses all class features, and all benefits gained via his fighter levels. A return to True Neutrality is sufficient to regain these features and benefits. Furthermore, a non-fighter cannot gain fighter levels, and a fighter who gains a non-fighter level can never again gain fighter levels.
[/sblock]

The Monk
[sblock]
Monks, like the first unarmed martial artists of history, exist in conflict with established societal norms. To protect themselves — often from their social betters — in a stifling hierarchy which does not allow them access to the weapons of war, these peasants have learned to use farming tools and their own bare hands as lethal weapons. As contradictions to their native society, a monk must be of Chaotic alignment. A monk who ceases to be Chaotic, or who uses any item which was made specifically for war — such as swords, war hammers, and other explicit weapons — can no longer advance in monk levels. A donation of 500 gp worth of foods and supplies to those under oppression, and a return to all requirements allows a character to continue gaining monk levels.
[/sblock]

The Paladin
[sblock]
Paladins are paragons of honor and virtue, and must be Lawful Good as per D&D tradition. Haven't decided what to do with the 5e alternate paladin builds. Ban them, or apply similar flair...
[/sblock]

The Ranger
[sblock]
Rangers form the military arm of the druidic order, and as such must maintain a universal concern for life, much like druids. Rangers are secondary servants of nature and are thus not required to take the druidic oath though, and are allowed to diffuse their concern with life with secondary ideologies. As such, a ranger can be of any Good alignment. A ranger who ceases to be Good loses all of his ranger class features. If his departure from Good was unintentional or coerced, a daily sacrifice of his own blood and a return to any Good alignment is sufficient to return his class features for 24 hours. This sacrifice reduces his hit points by one-tenth, and must be continued for one month before he permanently regains his class features.
[/sblock]

The Rogue
[sblock]
Rogues, while not all ruthless scoundrels as a rule, do practice a diverse skill set which violates the norms of honor and sincerity in favor of, at best, guile and dirty fighting. As such, a rogue is barred from all Lawful alignments. A rogue who becomes lawful loses all class features, until and if she returns to a non-Lawful alignment.
[/sblock]

The Sorcerer
[sblock]
Sorcerers are mortal manifestations of some supernatural or magical force, whether by heritage or by happenstance. As such, a sorcerer’s very soul is in part guided by her arcane influence, and she must thus be in harmony with that influence: A wild magic sorcerer must be of Chaotic alignment; a draconic heritage sorcerer must choose a true dragon type and adhere to that type’s alignment; and so on. A sorcerer who strays from her alignment requirement loses all sorcerer class features and spells, until and if she returns to the required alignment.
[/sblock]

The Warlock
[sblock]
Warlocks make pacts with all manner of powerful eldritch entities, all of which have hidden motives which are often incompatible with mortal prosperity and life. Thus, a warlock must either be of any Evil alignment, or must have a Wisdom score no greater than 10. A warlock who violates both of these requirements can no longer gain levels as a warlock. A re-adherence to either requirement allows a character to continue gaining warlock levels.
[/sblock]

The Wizard
[sblock]
Wizards must possess the utmost discipline and dedication to their craft in order to understand and master the arcane forces of magic. As such, a wizard must of Lawful Neutral alignment and must be ever-dedicated to her studies. As a result, a wizard must find or research a new spell at each level before she can advance to the next wizard level. Furthermore, a wizard who ceases to be Lawful Neutral or who takes a level in another class can never again gain another wizard level.
[/sblock]

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
All I see here are lots of alignment arguments waiting to happen and getting in the way of actually playing.

Also - rogues have to be chaotic, because they fight dirty, but barbarians are required to be lawful yet deliberately never ever follow a civilized law? A cleric of a chaotic god must be lawful. A wizard can never perform a good or evil act, in case he stops being neutral.

Finally - most of these classes require 'utmost dedication'. How do these guys find time to adventure?

This is enforcing role-playing through mechanics... and poor mechanics at that.

Dualazi

First Post
All I see here are lots of alignment arguments waiting to happen and getting in the way of actually playing.

Also - rogues have to be chaotic, because they fight dirty, but barbarians are required to be lawful yet deliberately never ever follow a civilized law? A cleric of a chaotic god must be lawful. A wizard can never perform a good or evil act, in case he stops being neutral.

Finally - most of these classes require 'utmost dedication'. How do these guys find time to adventure?

This is enforcing role-playing through mechanics... and poor mechanics at that.

Pretty much this in its entirety. The vast majority of your rules are alignment restrictions, usually nonsensical, that aside from causing table disputes ensure that every person in their respective classes or societies are carbon copies of one another. Who finds it exciting to know every 'barbarian' tribe behaves the same ways and has the exact same customs and rites? What does this strengthen in your attempts at worldbuilding?

So in answer to your question, no, I don't like this at all and would never play in such a campaign. Not trying to be vindictive here but a lot of this smacks to me of attempting to enforce PC compliance with the world by making them play the class as you would like it to be played, as opposed to how they would like to play or how they envision their desired character.

BoldItalic

First Post
I agree with the comments above. Alignment restrictions don't make characters more entertaining and fun, they are just another form of railroading.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I tend to avoid building flavor (flair) into classes. I view class as a way to achieve a concept or archetype, not as a roleplaying choice per se (it can be, for sure). As such, I tend to build in flavor in cultures and areas and groups and races and then let the players select which they'd like to come from and how they might oppose or champion those themes with their character and then select a class that works best mechanically for the concept they have. I'm a big fan of reflavoring classes.

As such, I don't have any real problems with the descriptions you've provided (not all my cuppa, but no problems) as descriptions of individual tribes/cultures/organizations/religions, etc. I dislike them immensely as class flavors.

BoldItalic

First Post
The party were down on hp after the last skirmish, and Ignatio, Cleric of All Gods and None In Particular, started healing his comrades. When he came to Bobbles the Halfling Rogue, a voice from on high suddenly intervened.

"Rogues are chaotic and healing a non-lawful creature is non-lawful. Ignatio, you lose all your spells and powers until you atone."

Bobbles quickly recited four paragraphs of rules from his copy of the Campaign Guide. "I'm converting to Lawful," he announced.

"Very well, Ignatio can heal you but you lose all your Rogue class features until you atone."

"Deal. I'm back to full hp? Definite?"

"Yes, you are healed."

"Okay. I lied about the alignment change. I'm still chaotic. I get to keep my class features."

"But lying is ..."

"Chaotic. Yeah. Proves I'm still chaotic, doesn't it?"

"Look, guys, this isn't ..."

"Seems fair to me," remarked Fernleaf the Druid, "Speaking as a Neutral, I have no preference for either players or DM. I'm quite impartial. Healing is a good act and I condone it. Stripping a player of his class features is an evil act. The DM is not playing to his alignment and is stripped of his powers until he atones by awarding 1000gp to each PC. This is my judgement."

Good luck with the campaign ideas ...

I’m all for classes being played with flair – a rogue should feel like a rogue (whether they’re an assassin, cutpurse, burglar, or “expert treasure hunter”), not just a collection of abilities, or worse just a means to an end of getting the sneak attack ability.

That being said, I think alignment restrictions are better-suited to an actual 1e game, and might chafe with the 5e system/players. I saw Chris Perkins speak recently, and he said something about “past edition holdovers that don’t necessarily fit with the current concept of fun in 5e,” and that has stuck with me, making me reevaluate some of my own DMing style.

But if your players are on-board with your system, go for it, whether you decide to do so in 1e or 5e. Heck, I still have a hard time with any paladin that’s not LG (though I am working on that). As for the system itself, it definitely seems to favor the lawful alignments over anything else at first glance (perhaps because chaotic behavior isn’t as easy to classify always).

Arilyn

Hero
As soon as I read your ideas I immediately thought of perfectly viable characters which go against your restrictions. What about the chaotic n'er do well noble's son who happens to have a genius level flair for magic and becomes a wizard? What about a sorcerer who is fighting against the pull of their magical source? Why on earth would all fighters have to be neutral?

My other problem is everyone losing their abilities from straying away from the imposed alignment. Why would my fighter lose class features because her alignment changed? Why would my chaotic neutral cleric worshipping a chaotic neutral God lose the favour of his God? Far too many logic problems.

Adding your own flair to a game is a fine idea, but alignment restrictions on class is not the way to go. Perhaps some of your ideas could be made into orders that players could choose to join? An order of wizards purely dedicated to gathering knowledge, for the sake of supporting their order or kingdom? A specific order of druids dedicated to the tenets you mentioned in your description? I think this would better serve your campaign.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Remove ads