• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you DM sitting or standing?

Kid Socrates

First Post
I sit, mostly. We game in my bedroom in the apartment, because that's where my computer is, so one player sits on the bed and the other sits at the far table. Next session, though, I think I'm changing things up, and I'm going to try standing more. The computer's important because that's where the music is, and we have themes for everything. I have stood for important sessions, so I can be more active -- this thread's going to help me do that again, as I think it'll help keep them on track, too.

One of my old GMs once ran a combat in a White Wolf Vampire game while going through a nunchaku demonstration. We weren't facing enemies that used nunchucks or anything -- he just was. Boy, were we paying attention there...

FolcoTook

First Post
I sit most of the time. Whether DMing or playing, standing is usually just a result of being tired of sitting for me. That's something to consider, though.

-FT

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
MithrilKnight said:
I start my games seated at the dining room table behind two full-size DM screens. And I'm usually planted back there until those famous words are uttered: "Roll for initiative."

Then, I'm standing for the combat because I have to draw the combat map and watch the minis and I can't see everything from behind the DM screens. But I don't want to go without the screens because I like to have the books open and materials all in front of me to manage the combats -- and I'd give away too much in some cases if I went without the screens.

Pretty much sums up my situation as well, except that if the cat is in my lap I stay seated through the combats too. :)

Occasionally, I'll stand to show something's pose or position, or if I'm taking the role of someone important e.g. the King. But most of the time, I'm planted in the chair with tea or beer close to hand.

Lanefan

Henry

Autoexreginated
I stand more often than I sit.

I will sit when the group is in a lull, or bookkeeping (new equipment, levelling, just schmoozing during a break, etc.) but when the game is full on, I usually stand, and especially during combat. I find it both makes me more energentic, and it puts focus on me more, allowing me to hold attention.

I highly recommend every DM at least try it, and see if it changes their game's dynamic in an unexpected way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads