D&D 5E Do you find alignment useful in any way?

Do you find alignment useful in any way?

• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

Gadget

Adventurer
I don't find alignment terribly useful in regard to characters, and many NPCs, but there is a use with regard to monster types (i.e. undead, fiends, celestials, etc) and certain types of mechanics (hallow, Protection from..., and certain items, like only a pure in heart can wield the holy avenger). I've never been a big fan of the 9-alignment system and the way it had been used by some as a straitjacket, but I do like the idea of certain powers being holy/good and unholy/evil, and these powers being uniquely affected in a mechanical way.

I'm not entirely happy with the with the way 5e implemented the Protection From..., Detect..., Dispel..., Divine/Holy Word type spells, though I do understand and generally approve of the need to divorce alignment from the mechanics.

TrueAlphaGamer

Truly a Gamer
Yes. It helps give a framework for how a character might act, and is one of the things that makes D&D unique. I think one of my first interactions with the concepts of D&D was through all those alignment chart memes of characters from pop culture, which I could recognize and understand even before I knew anything about the game.

Also, it helps tell things apart at a glance. If they weren't labeled as lawful good, I would probably expect a blink dog or a flumph to be an adversary to the players if I was just leafing through the Monster Manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads