D&D 5E Do you love Awesome Names?

Do you love awesome names?

• Awesome names are awesome.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • D&D is serious.

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • You lost me at Fonkin Hoddyspeak.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • I would never vote in a poll that would allow me to vote in it.

Votes: 9 10.1%

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sometimes I go serious. Sometimes I go awesome. Sometimes, the other players at the table don't know which way I'm going.

I got asked to fill in with a thief PC once. Judging from the group history, I didn't expect him to live long, so his last name was "Roteshemd." (German for "redshirt".)

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I think the point of the game is to have fun, and if a particular sort of name helps you have fun, that's the sort of name you should use.

And I think it is difficult for me to judge a name as not being "serious" because I've seen real people with names that most folks I've experienced insisting only serious names be used wouldn't approve of. So I just don't bother trying to figure out whether a character's name is supposed to be serious or not.

Mercule

Adventurer
I have mixed feelings about it. I don't consider D&D to be super-duper serious, but I also don't like constant, in-your-face humor. Rary is fine because I can ignore the epithet. Gleep Wurp, not so much. Ripping a name straight out of a book (Aragorn) kinda sucks, but hacking it a bit (Eregon -- this happened before that book series was written, okay) is fine, even if everyone knows from whence it came.

I've allowed archers named Bosomethingorother, shortened to "Bo". But, I nixed a WoD character who was a psychiatrist name Luna Sae (the player didn't even realize what she'd done, but I couldn't unsee it).

I guess that my answer is "I prefer reasonably serious, but not pretentious, names. I would, however, probably be more comfortable in a group of 'awesome' namers than in a group of self-absorbed method actors/wannabe authors."

Ed Laprade

First Post
I voted that you lost me at Fonkin Hoddyspeak. But I'm not one to take the game too seriously. The more subtle a pun name, the better, but they have to be really in your face (or really dumb, like Gleep Wurp) to really get me to roll my eyes.

pukunui

Legend
I have mixed feelings too. I don't really like names that are obvious jokes or that deliberately break the fourth wall. I was in a group once where some of the players named their characters after other players in the group. It was funny at first but it quickly got confusing.

When I DM, I tell my players to pick a name from the list of examples for their chosen race or come up with something that sounds similar. I don't mind if a name ends up being a little jokey - especially since there's always that one player in the group that'll come up with a jokey nickname for your seriously-named character anyway - but I still think context matters. For instance, I once had a PC named "Holly Berry", but she was a forest gnome, so it makes sense, right? Gnomes are known for their silly names.

Remove ads