D&D 5E Do you miss attribute minimums/maximums?

Lichemaster

Explorer
I miss it, the races are unbalanced. If played correctly darkvision is over powered and even a bonus feat for humans at level 1 does not fix it.
min/max should return

Ganymede81

First Post
Ohhhhhh, I didn't realize that penalties are only sexist if they are given to human females. My bad for not realizing that you can freely penalize female elves, hobbits, duergar, orcs, dragonborn, gnomes, etc., without it being sexist. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm going to give you another opportunity to re-read my post and reply, because you really went off the rails with your response here.

Take a moment, compose your thoughts, and then respond.

"Could you share a little bit about our planet's history of oppressing/subjugating elves and orcs?

Considering our planet's long history of oppression of women has helped inform our stereotypes as to what women can do and achieve, your analogy to race here would be more illuminating if you talked a little about how dragonborn and gnomes have endured similar oppression in our history."

Ganymede81

First Post
I miss it, the races are unbalanced. If played correctly darkvision is over powered and even a bonus feat for humans at level 1 does not fix it.
min/max should return

That's longitudinal balance, though, a really crummy form of balance. It was a part of the whole "non-humans are better at low levels and worse at higher levels" schtick that scarred the early editions.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm going to give you another opportunity to re-read my post and reply, because you really went off the rails with your response here.

Take a moment, compose your thoughts, and then respond.

"Could you share a little bit about our planet's history of oppressing/subjugating elves and orcs?

Considering our planet's long history of oppression of women has helped inform our stereotypes as to what women can do and achieve, your analogy to race here would be more illuminating if you talked a little about how dragonborn and gnomes have endured similar oppression in our history."

If there are no analogs in the real world for dragonborn and gnomes, etc., and therefore there can be no racism for them, then there are no real world analogs for female dragonborn and gnomes, etc, and therefore there can be no sexism for them, either.

Female is primarily an adjective. Female dragonborn, female gnome, etc. In those instances where it is used as a noun, it is in direct reference to a being. For example, what sex is that dragonborn? It's a female. You can't separate female from the fictional races in the game, so if you're going to claim sexism for stat penalties for dragonborn, you open the door to the racism that exists due to dragonborn and gnomes being unequal.

Which is it going to be? Are there both sexism and racism in D&D, or do those things not apply to a fictional PC?

Mishihari Lord

First Post
After scanning the latter part of this thread, I'm reminded of the other reason that I thought race/gender min/max/mod were useful. If someone was going to inject his real-life politics into the game, it would show up during chargen and I could kick him to the curb immediately, rather than putting effort into his character before disinviting him. Fortunately, this never actually came up in one of my games.

Ganymede81

First Post
If there are no analogs in the real world for dragonborn and gnomes, etc., and therefore there can be no racism for them, then there are no real world analogs for female dragonborn and gnomes, etc, and therefore there can be no sexism for them, either.

Female is primarily an adjective. Female dragonborn, female gnome, etc. In those instances where it is used as a noun, it is in direct reference to a being. For example, what sex is that dragonborn? It's a female. You can't separate female from the fictional races in the game, so if you're going to claim sexism for stat penalties for dragonborn, you open the door to the racism that exists due to dragonborn and gnomes being unequal.

Which is it going to be? Are there both sexism and racism in D&D, or do those things not apply to a fictional PC?

I'd give you a third crack at it, but I seriously doubt you could hone this hot mess into anything coherent.

Look, if you just want a platform to say weird stuff that doesn't address the things I ask, there is no need to quote my posts. Just say it and spare me the extraneous notifications.

Remove ads