Do you multiclass for raw mechanical power or for character reasons?

Warpiglet

Adventurer
If I am being honest, I always multiclass for some benefit but never if it conflicts with the story or flavor.

However, for me, it is to accentuate or bolster something and usually only a level.

I would take a level of sorcerer with an already magic using warlock. I might take a level of wizard to kick up an eldrtich knight. However, in both cases it is really to add a bit to something already there. I might take a level of fighter to toughen up certain clerics...but they would be cleric who are defenders of the faith and not avoidant of combat per se.

It always has to fit, but in many cases I could take one class alone and it would still be fine. I have met few players who only roleplay and frankly few who exclude roleplay.

It is all on a continuum.

I play a character that intrigues me. It starts with a concept, a personality, a motivation, strengths, weaknesses. Then I make the best character I can to fit that prototype.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
If there is a multi-class I am going for, then I adjust/create the character to fit it.

If there is a character I want to play, then I adjust the class(es) to fit it.

One of the last adventures my character was on was in the Fey, and it involved meeting the Fey Patron of the party's Warlock and staying in her court for a questionable amount of time. This has changed my character's perception of the Fey Patron (always referred to her as a Devil), and it was a legit idea to take a level of Warlock at this time and become a Fighter/Cleric/Warlock. I went back and forth on it and actually brought both versions of the character to the table next session. Ultimately I went with the option to pursue Cleric further, but I still think it would be cool to swear allegiance to a Patron in person.

In on the last campaign I ran, one of the characters died in the Abyss. A Demon offered him a chance at immediate ressurection if he swore allegiance to him. This meant the Eldritch Knight had to take a level of Warlock if he accepted. It was not ideal to his build of course, but he accepted (mainly to finish the campaign which was 1-2 sessions from ending).

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
We don't multiclass - at first while we explored the system. Now, we simply don't feel the need. Or rather, character concepts are created through the lens of single classed characters.

Worked well. Still a fair amount of optimization, regardless. Having obvious strengths and weaknesses, or perhaps clearer defined skill sets and gaps, has lent itself well to group play.

And for the folks at the back of the bus: Sure, we can multiclass. And obviously we can optimize a simple game system. But we choose not to. On the plus side, its given more than one creative challenge, which I've personally enjoyed!

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Mostly for backstory reasons, though I might avoid a mechanically disadvantageous combo and don't mind the benefits of an advantageous dip.

My AL character started as a fighter. For one level. Then went bard. He is a mountain dwarf from a clan with a rich martial heritage. Leaving the military to become a bard has estranged him from his family and clan. I won't bore you with more details, but this was mostly a story-led multiclassing.

Of course, having a bard with proficiency in heavy armor is nice.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
In the words of the question being asked, story. Like feats, multiclassing is (in my opinion) used to add new abilities when the limitations of a single class don’t cover the full range of the character envisioned. It’s a waste to use to use those game tools to specialize/focus on one element when they could rather provide more options. I’ll gladly trade “DPS” on a fighter if it lets me cast Prestidigitation to keep my armor sparkling!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I multiclass to make my character more mechanically interesting, not necessarily to make them better. (Sometimes it's totally to make them better, though!)

I always view classes as a purely metagame construct, your character's capabilities are what matters in the game fiction, not your class title. As such, I build a cohesive character concept out of the sum of the character's capabilities, whether they have one class, ten classes, or anywhere in between.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Not sure what you mean by this line. Are you saying that playing with single classed characters is 5e on hard mode?

What I'm saying is -- trying to fit the many character possibilities into a single class is a challenge*. The 'ole ' ingenuity is about working with less options, not more.'

Which is debatable. But still -- trying to get the similar results with less? Yeah, that's a challenge in its own right.

*..to be clear, we do use feats and are fairly open to racial choices from UA and whatever WoTC has printed.

Last edited:

Remove ads