• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you own a set of "crystal" dice?

Do you own a set of crystal dice? Check all applicable......

• What the heck are you talking about?

Votes: 46 14.3%
  • Yes!

Votes: 35 10.9%
  • Yes, but I never use them 'cuz they suck!

Votes: 30 9.3%
  • Yes, I actually own MORE THAN ONE set! THEY RULE!

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • No!

Votes: 94 29.3%
  • No, and I don't want to! THEY SUCK!

Votes: 47 14.6%
  • No, but I'd like to!

Votes: 36 11.2%
  • Not a whole set, but I do have individual crystal dice.

Votes: 61 19.0%
  • Geez, those 'crystal' d20s really blow, huh?

Votes: 45 14.0%

ephemeron

Explorer
Krieg said:
If you look at the photo below the sour cream package is the shape I think they should have gone with. It's a bit hard to see but it is the best I could find. Essentially it is two triangles, each split open into a V, then rotated so that the open ends mesh together...
Believe it or not, TSR patented that design of d4 (for Dragon Dice, mostly), so Crystal Caste can't use it without licensing it from Hasbro.

The patent
A bit of the story (scroll down to message #8)

I have 2 of the d6s, my issue of Dragon had an extra in it. Lucky me. :\
I have used them on occasion, but don't really hate them or love them. They are ok, but I don't go out of my way either way with them. I do dislike the larger # dice, especially the d20s. I used to be in a game with a girl who only owned one set of dice, and these are what she had. Every time she rolled that damn d20 the game would grind to a halt as we waited for it to roll down the length of the table and either hit something or fall of the other end.

briezee

First Post
Pseudonym said:
I got a purple crystal d6 a while ago bundled with a Dragon magazine, or possible Dungeon. In any event, after using it for one session, it became a favored cat toy. I don't miss it.

Gee, you could be me :D . It just doesn't roll like a natural die to me.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Davelozzi said:
That's an awful lot of options for a yes or no poll. How many ways do we need to express our dislike? As for me, I'v never really used them, and don't particularly care to, but they don't upset me.

Oh come on! Frothing at the mouth over something completely inconsequential is fun!
hehehmn.gif

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
At first I thought the dice you were polling about were the old sharp-edged dice.

The ones you are talking about I couldn't care less for.

The sharp-edged dice I miss. A lot.
Anyone out there know if any companies still make those?

Gilladian

Adventurer
Gamescience Dice

Blueblackred,
I think you're talking about gamescience (aka zocci) dice. I have two or three sets from 20 years ago. I love them! They're as good now as they were then, though they are definitely a little dingy.

I think they're still available. Just do a search under gamescience.

Fenes

First Post
Dragon had a d6 in that shape with it once. I lost it after a while, think the cat ate it. Never used it in RPGs though.

haiiro

First Post
I have a few for the novelty factor, but I don't like the way they roll and I find them irritating to read. Still, they look cool. ;)

Tuzenbach

First Post
Gilladian said:
Blueblackred,
I think you're talking about gamescience (aka zocci) dice. I have two or three sets from 20 years ago. I love them! They're as good now as they were then, though they are definitely a little dingy.

I think they're still available. Just do a search under gamescience.

Correct! Actually though, the best place to look is the Advancinghordes.com website. For some odd reason, their website actually displays more Gamescience dice than the Gamescience site! Once you go there, do a search with the stuff in the left hand side-bar.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads