• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 255 53.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 222 46.5%

Yaarel

He Mage
I think they want something that makes sense in-universe first, and then work around that for the other issues. Recovering when you rest makes a lot more sense from a world-building perspective than recovering every x encounters.

The trick, therefore, is to make a game where that doesn’t interfere with balance or narrative too much.

(Under those conditions I would favor a lower default number of encounters per day, because even 2-3 deadlies can be a lot if that’s the minimum.)
Ah. In other words, correlate the refresh with some in world ritual, analogous to sleep or lunch.

The thing is, when counting encounters, the refresh can happen at any time, in a couple days, or a couple years. The only perceptible change is, person notices that they are starting to feel "well". There is no audible "ding".

I feel that is more like reallife than anything.

mamba

Legend
I also think ENWorld is conservative in its approach to changes within WotC D&D.
does that mean fewer or more upgrades?

I wish 2024 were a bit more aggressive in its approach, I miss moving everyone to the same recharge frequency (long or short rest, personally prefer long) and the same subclass progression. That these are missing is the reason for me to not go with it.

I'm anticipating thew 2024 PHB to sell out on first printing, fast enough that the only major printers won't be able to keep up
no idea how many books they print, or how many people buy digital only. There were a lot of people here who said they would switch eventually, rather than immediately too

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
This poll is now at 2/3rds purchasing, which if the general public follows suit would make it the second best selling edition of all time without accounting for an expansion of the fanbase.

I also think ENWorld is conservative in its approach to changes within WotC D&D.

I'm anticipating thew 2024 PHB to sell out on first printing, fast enough that the only major printers won't be able to keep up

That, and add in all the people saying no because they don't currently play 5E. I also suspect some naysayers will eventually convert over time.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I've made this point before, but the best way to have resource attrition be both verisimilitudinous and balanced across any X number of encounters is to have resource recharging cost money (loot).

Use resources to defeat encounters, encounters give money and loot, money and loot recharge spell and hit point resources (via crafting spell scrolls, buying healing potions, etc.). Smart, efficient play will let you keep more loot per encounter, hastening progression.
I have zero problem with this.

Remove ads