• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 230 46.7%

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The moment they can gain level advancement from running in-game businesses is the moment I-as-DM run screaming for the hills.

I have no problem with this; but then I have no problem with so-called 'murderhobo' play in general.
Running a business is a great hook for adventures.

I dont have businesses currently, but my friends who play 1e (!) sometimes have ongoing businesses.

Ships with necessary products (either resources or player business products to other lands) sometimes get hit by pirate ships and so on, and the players need to do something about it. When there is a living campaign, and high level characters are still around, the new characters can be their descendants growing up in the fortresses, keeps, wizard schools, and other business endeavors. They carry on the family business.

The playtest Bastion is flirting with this in world kind of play. It needs to integrate better with how the economy works as presented in the Players Handbook. Such as buying and running a store ("storehouse") at levels 1 thru 4, even without the Bastion perks. It is the right idea.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Given the recent trends on this board with people who were already not playing 5e commenting on D&D threads, I wish the questions were:

1) I was not playing 5e before this; I don't plan to buy whatever this next thing is either
2) I was playing 5e before this; I don't plan to buy whatever this next thing is either
3) I was not playing 5e before this; I do plan to buy whatever this next thing
4) I was playing 5e before this; I do plan to buy whatever this next thing
Again, does "5e" in this context mean "2014 WotC 5e"? This is why labels are important. You can't just say, "5e" and assume everyone knows what you mean.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
How would this incentive to find an encounter be different from counting XP?

At least, by counting encounters, any kind of encounter would be suitable − social, exploration, or combat. Even business opportunities!

By contrast, the counting of XPs from combat encounters actually incentivizes the player characters to transform into "murder hobos" in order to advance a level.
Because the players don't have control over how much xp an encounter can give, but one encounter is one encounter.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Again, does "5e" in this context mean "2014 WotC 5e"? This is why labels are important. You can't just say, "5e" and assume everyone knows what you mean.
Again, that is a meaningless distinction given the context of this question. You were not in fact playing any 5e other than the one that exists right now, before this question. There is no other 5e at this moment when this poll is being taken.

Perfect example of why I think you're going overboard in your concern though. Told you context carries the day for almost everybody!

Wait, unless you're a time traveler? Are you from the future?

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Because the players don't have control over how much xp an encounter can give, but one encounter is one encounter.
When I used XP, I would see that my character needed say 600 xp to level up. I know how much xp Orcs grant, and where to find them. Even going to a place where there are "random encounters" gains the xp. Video game slang calls this artificial repetitive pursuit of xp and gp "farming". XP from combat only is exploitable and incentivizes behaviors that lack verisimilitude.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Interesting idea but it sounds like it could get very treadmill-y very quickly. Also, how do you account for greedy players and-or characters who don't want to spend a copper if they don't have to?
They should probably not play spellcasters, or switch to another character while they wait for their warrior-type to heal up.

Perhaps more seriously, how do you account for players who - sometimes intentionally, sometimes not - aren't always smart and-or efficient in their play?
How do you deal with reckless players who traipse through dungeons assuming you won't kill their characters?

You kill their characters. They learn, or they re-roll.

Players who don't play smart will simply have to do more lower-level challenges to gain power as they have less resources to challenge higher-level ones.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Anyone who prefers the upcoming revisions and/or always buys the new D&D is going to want to believe that. Doesn't make it so.
It also lines up with the experience of those of us (well, me, anyway) who base their opinions on institutional knowledge and not personal opinion. In other words, I'm afraid that it IS so, even if you don't want it to be.

Remove ads