• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 255 53.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 222 46.5%

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Yes, I can't think of any reason not to if I play DnD. Most likely only digital versions well be purchased though. We use those way more, and my wife and I might downsize or try remote work and road tripping for a year. Not going to haul books around to play virtually.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Counting encounters feels natural. It gives the narrative total control. If players are sailing on a ship, there might only be a couple of encounters in a week or a month. If players are in an underground complex, there might many encounters in a same day. What ever makes sense is how it happens.

Oppositely, to force eight encounters per 24 hours, feels extremely gamist. To make every adventure a "ticking countdown", also feels gamist.
It is gamist because it abandons verisimilitude in the name of balance. It is also narrativist because the explanation is story structure-based, as opposed to what is actually happening in the world. I'm not saying it doesn't work,, I'm saying that it does not work for everyone.

Micah Sweet

Yes, I can't think of any reason not to if I play DnD. Most likely only digital versions well be purchased though. We use those way more, and my wife and I might downsize or try remote work and road tripping for a year. Not going to haul books around to play virtually.
Depends on your definition of D&D.

Yaarel

He Mage
It is gamist because it abandons verisimilitude in the name of balance. It is also narrativist because the explanation is story structure-based, as opposed to what is actually happening in the world. I'm not saying it doesn't work,, I'm saying that it does not work for everyone.
Maybe give an example?

From what I see, every day having exactly 8 massive fights, day after day, defies verisimilitude.

Oppositely, have a fight whenever it makes sense to have a fight, is pure verisimilitude.

Explain to me what you mean?

Micah Sweet

Maybe give an example?

From what I see, every day having exactly 8 massive fights, day after day, defies verisimilitude.

Oppositely, have a fight whenever it makes sense to have a fight, is pure verisimilitude.

Explain to me what you mean?
Resource recovery based on story structure defies verisimilitude. Honestly, so does milestone-based leveling, unless you assume getting more powerful in your class is the result of some kind of divine promotion.

Don't get me wrong, having exactly 8 fights a day is also a problem. I just don't think your solution would work for folks who want the setting to make in-universe sense (unless the setting runs on narrative principles).

Yaarel

He Mage
Resource recovery based on story structure defies verisimilitude. Honestly, so does milestone-based leveling, unless you assume getting more powerful in your class is the result of some kind of divine promotion.

Don't get me wrong, having exactly 8 fights a day is also a problem. I just don't think your solution would work for folks who want the setting to make in-universe sense (unless the setting runs on narrative principles).
I still dont understand where you are coming from.

It seems normal enough, that with life experience (= more encounters) a person becomes more competent. This progress might be a matter of rapid insight or years of experience. So counting encounters seems an abstraction that is plausible enough. Plus, the actual number of encounters can vary depending on whether they were many trivial ones or a handful of deadly ones. There is fluidity.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
This poll is now at 2/3rds purchasing, which if the general public follows suit would make it the second best selling edition of all time without accounting for an expansion of the fanbase.

I also think ENWorld is conservative in its approach to changes within WotC D&D.

I'm anticipating thew 2024 PHB to sell out on first printing, fast enough that the only major printers won't be able to keep up

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer

I've made this point before, but the best way to have resource attrition be both verisimilitudinous and balanced across any X number of encounters is to have resource recharging cost money (loot).

Use resources to defeat encounters, encounters give money and loot, money and loot recharge spell and hit point resources (via crafting spell scrolls, buying healing potions, etc.). Smart, efficient play will let you keep more loot per encounter, hastening progression.

I still dont understand where you are coming from.

It seems normal enough, that with life experience (= more encounters) a person becomes more competent. This progress might be a matter of rapid insight or years of experience. So counting encounters seems an abstraction that is plausible enough. Plus, the actual number of encounters can vary depending on whether they were many trivial ones or a handful of deadly ones. There is fluidity.
I think they want something that makes sense in-universe first, and then work around that for the other issues. Recovering when you rest makes a lot more sense from a world-building perspective than recovering every x encounters.

The trick, therefore, is to make a game where that doesn’t interfere with balance or narrative too much.

(Under those conditions I would favor a lower default number of encounters per day, because even 2-3 deadlies can be a lot if that’s the minimum.)

Remove ads