D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 247 54.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 210 46.0%

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I imagine more granular "Are you excited?" options would provide clarity. A lot of folk buy whatever ensures they can play rather than what they want.
I figure it’s more of a case of the people that plan on making the switch, don’t feel the need to mention it, while the people who don’t plan on making the switch are incessant about telling everyone that they’re not going to do so.

greymist

Lurker Extraordinaire
Hard no for full adoption. I expect I will peruse the playtest packets for bits and bobs that I can add to my house rules.

delericho

Legend
No.

I'm running what is almost certainly my final campaign with my current group, and I have neither the time nor, honestly, the inclination to go find another group. So it may well be my final campaign ever. And with no game running, nor any prospect of one, there's no reason to buy (and so no chance of adoption).

If WotC were to publish the books in PDF, I would buy sight-unseen. But that's obviously not going to happen, and I electronic formats other than PDF are of no use to me. (I appreciate that some of those formats are almost certainly 'better' than PDF. But a less good format I can actually use is worth more to me than even a perfect one that I can't.)

Clint_L

Hero
I'll continue using the parts I like, and ignoring the parts I don't. Not everything is either/or.

Honestly, we live in such a black or white era: "you either for it, or you're against it. And now you must be angry about it!" Whereas most things are kinda in the middle.

I really, really don't understand getting that worked up about a rules update.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I figure it’s more of a case of the people that plan on making the switch, don’t feel the need to mention it, while the people who don’t plan on making the switch are incessant about telling everyone that they’re not going to do so.
As we can see in this thread, there might be some people who are skipping the new books based on apathy, but there's quite a few that are skipping them from passion. They're angry at WotC (usually for the OGL-thing, but sometimes just for not making the D&D that suits that person best). That passion makes them speak out.

(Though some people seem to be passionate about their apathy...)

And this thread illustrates the dichotomy of the situation: based on the comments, I’d think the majority of people are NOT going to switch to 5.5. But then I look at the poll results and it’s the complete opposite.

The loudest opinions aren't necessarily the most popular, the most realistic, the most moral, or the most honest. Sometimes they're just the loudest.

Also, this is a poll posted on a weekend. Numbers may shift on Monday.

aco175

Legend
WE will buy them and likely start a new campaign with the rules as best we can and then slowly take old ones back or forget and think that the new book always ran that way. Kind of like the flanking rules. My group just always took that from 4e and never thought 5e did not have them standard until too late to not use them.

I look at the new rules as an improvement to the game like other games that issue new rules or changes. There is a reason that certain spells, feats, classes needed the changes. I may not agree with all of it, but understand the changes are made to make it a better game.

Remove ads