Do you prefer week-by-week or a full series drop?

Full drop or weekly?

• Full drop—I’m a binger, baby!

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • Weekly—I like it slow and steady!

Votes: 33 50.0%

MarkB

Legend
I'm like a few others here - I much prefer full drops. But not necessarily to binge-watch. I'll watch an episode every day or two. I just find that if I have to wait a full week, I might not remember to come back to that show at all.
Oddly enough, I tend to be the other way around. If something's a weekly drop I'll look forward to catching up with it on the day. But if it's dropped all at once I may watch a few episodes and then not get round to circling back to it for ages, if at all. Quality does play a part in that, of course.

Both methods have advantages and disadvantages.
I honestly don't have a preference.

I think services are still experimenting with release strategies,
For example Disney+ is putting out an episode each day of 'What If...?' season 2 in the lead up to Christmas, and then Echo is all coming out a once early next year.

Netflix has broken up Squid Game: the challenge so there was:
5 eps week 1
4 eps week 2
final episode week 3

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This. I wonder what the age breakdown on this vote is?

My personal experience is not a representative sample, but I know a lot of 40+ year olds who get angry if you don't drop an entire season for them to binge on the day it drops.

Bagpuss

Legend
When Netflix started doing full series drops, I’d binge watch them and I loved it.

But then I started to come to appreciate the shows which were weekly. Something to anticipate each week, time for each episode to percolate, time to talk about it with my friends, even the frustration at the end of each that I can’t immediately see the resolution can be fun. So I think I’ve switched back and really prefer weekly drops.

What say you?

I'm with you. I did initially like full series drops, but if there is a community watching it, then weekly spreads out the enjoyment of the shared experience.

With a full series drop, I can't necessarily speak with people that are also watching it as they might not be at the same point as me. I think both have their place, if there isn't that community I am sharing the experience with I would like to watch at my own pace.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
When Netflix started doing full series drops, I’d binge watch them and I loved it.

But then I started to come to appreciate the shows which were weekly. Something to anticipate each week, time for each episode to percolate, time to talk about it with my friends, even the frustration at the end of each that I can’t immediately see the resolution can be fun. So I think I’ve switched back and really prefer weekly drops.

What say you?

I'm with you. I did initially like full series drops, but if there is a community watching it, then weekly spreads out the enjoyment of the shared experience.

With a full series drop, I can't necessarily speak with people that are also watching it as they might not be at the same point as me. I think both have their place, if there isn't that community I am sharing the experience with I would like to watch at my own pace.
Motion thirded.

Ryujin

Legend
Here's an example of a frustrating release schedule. "Invincible" on Prime. Four episodes of season 2 released, weekly, in November. The last 4 episodes of the same season released "some time in 2024."

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
It ends up being about the same either way for me. I don't have time to watch shows every week. So by the time I get around to watching a weekly show, there are usually several episodes already out. And for shows that release the entire season at once, I really want or am able to spend the time to binge watch the entire season in a day. So I end up watching it 2-3 episodes at a time over a few weeks.

Remove ads