D&D 4E Do you really want Greyhawk and Dragonlance for 4e

Scribble

First Post
I totally understand the Kender hate... But I've always had a special place in my heart for all the "little people" of the D&D world. :)

I think it takes a certain type of pl;ayer and group to survive kenderness... Some people just aren't cut out to play the lightheartedness right, and they end up just being dicks.

I think it's similar to the old feeling that the only way to really roleplay a thief was to constantly steal from your friends.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
The only anti-Dragonlance argument I can completely get behind is the anti-kender sentiment. I've been fortunate enough to have never had to deal with the "jerk kender player" but I understand that many have. No one at the table should have reign to be a jerk to co-players. I understand the innocent intent behind kender, but clearly it doesn't play like that at many tables. That would need to be addressed in a 4E version, even if it means a complete nerf of the race's fluff.

I maintain that "jerk kender players" are really just "jerk players". ;)

But yeah, I think there could be a strong sidebar in a 4e DL product that says flat-out that kender are not thieves.

Mithreinmaethor

First Post

But yeah, I think there could be a strong sidebar in a 4e DL product that says flat-out that kender are not thieves.

Those same players tend to want to play evil characters or the old chaotic neutral characters barring a Kender being available.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I was thinking about this yesterday myself. Why not go with a Dark Sun-style reboot of the original series. Create a campaign setting focused on the early days of the War of the Lance, and let players base themselves in that era. Provide 4E-updated stats for the Companions as example characters, but don't require that those characters exist at all in the world of Krynn 4E.
If we're talking a reboot of Krynn, why not go back to the time of Huma and Kaz the Minotaur?

AlioTheFool

First Post

I can believe that. Unfortunately, there will always be the odd jerk player, and giving them an excuse such as kender to play that way is unfortunately going to be an issue.

If we're talking a reboot of Krynn, why not go back to the time of Huma and Kaz the Minotaur?

I'm not familiar with that era beyond the passing mentions in the books I've read.

Dice4Hire

First Post
If we did DL, I would not mind going all the way back to Istar and their campaigns against the non-humans. Give a nice human enemy.

Could be interesting

Huma would be good to have also.

Scribble

First Post
What they should do (if they did it) is allow for multiple time-lines.

Setting it in a concrete timeline just opens the door for people on the internet complaining about why whatever timeline they chose is the most destructive thing they could ever have done, and now all the "true" fans hates it foreverz.

Don Incognito

First Post
Honestly? Not really. Krynn and Oerth are more or less generic high fantasy settings, and as much as people are attached to them, generic high fantasy settings are a dime a dozen and don't really interest me that much unless they have an interesting hook to distinguish themselves (and no, "there are lots of dragons" isn't enough).

In 2012 I'd want to see either Birthright or something original.

GameDoc

Explorer
Regarding Greyhawk (which I have far less experience with than FR or DL), I recall a discussion on another message board back when 4e came out.

A guy was getting back into D&D and wanted to use 4e but have the setting be Greyhawk, since that is what he was most familiar with from his younger days as a gamer.

All he did was say that Dragonborn originated elsewhere on Oerth and had recently reached the Flanaess by sea and were newcomers to the continent. No world shattering event or need to jump ahead generations from the era he was going to present (presumabley the original AD&D one).

Someone mentioned handwaving tieflings as a type of cambion. I think that would work too.

Do somthing like this and present The Free City of Greyhawk in a manner similar to what they've done with Neverwinter, and I would consider it.

Remove ads