D&D (2024) Do you see Full Casters played at your Table?

Do you see single classed full casters at your table

• During 2022-2023, my games have 3 or more play a single classed full casters to over level 7.

Votes: 49 59.0%
  • During 2022-2023, my games have 2 single classed full casters played to over level 7.

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • During 2022-2023, my games have 1 single classed full caster played to over level 7.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • During 2022-2023, my games have no single classed full casters played to over level 7.

Votes: 6 7.2%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In 2022-2023 I had...

Warforged Bard to 15th level
Changeling Wizard to 15th level
Dwarven Cleric to 11th level
Tiefling Sorcerer to 15th level
Tiefling Warlock to 15th level

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Thing is, that skew started in 3e and then leaned further and further. Once upon a time, you could go entire encounters without a single spell.

Now? It’s rare to go a single round. Every scenario has people reaching for their spells.

It would be noce if we could dial it back just a smidgeon.
Every class and its mother can cast spells in 5e. Even fighters and rogues have partial casters. Monk maybe not. Barbarian I don't think so, but has that wild magic subclass that's magical. It would be nice to have more non-casters and even parties of non-casters.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
To support non-caster parties, however, the game has to massively chance it's model where certain problems can only be dealt with magically. From spell design to monster design, there are always scenarios where not having magic makes a scenario massively more difficult to impossible.

The classic fix has always been more common magic items, but with them being optional and artificially limited by attunement and rarity, the default game doesn't make this viable. Thus the DM has to step in and avoid using certain challenges and offering alternate solutions beyond "player casts spell".

I mean, ask yourself this. Is a campaign where no one plays a Fighter more or less difficult than one where no one plays a Wizard? Is a campaign where no one plays a Rogue more or less difficult than one where no one plays a Cleric? Is a campaign where no one plays a Barbarian more or less difficult than one where no one plays a Bard? Is a campaign where no one plays a Monk more or less difficult than one where no one plays a Druid?

Ideally, it shouldn't matter. But it does. And even if all of these classes I just mentioned were somehow banned from the game, you'd still have Rangers, Paladins, Artificers, Warlocks, and Sorcerers!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Every class and its mother can cast spells in 5e. Even fighters and rogues have partial casters. Monk maybe not. Barbarian I don't think so, but has that wild magic subclass that's magical. It would be nice to have more non-casters and even parties of non-casters.
Barbarian Pathof Ancestral Guardians get Augury and Clairvoyance

Remove ads