D&D (2024) Do you see Full Casters played at your Table?

Do you see single classed full casters at your table

• During 2022-2023, my games have 3 or more play a single classed full casters to over level 7.

Votes: 49 59.0%
  • During 2022-2023, my games have 2 single classed full casters played to over level 7.

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • During 2022-2023, my games have 1 single classed full caster played to over level 7.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • During 2022-2023, my games have no single classed full casters played to over level 7.

Votes: 6 7.2%

Hussar

Legend
This is a followup on this thread: https://www.enworld.org/threads/do-you-see-fighter-players-at-your-own-table.698254/

So, in the other thread, there was a pretty solid 30% of tables that had zero single classed fighters by 7th level. This certainly mirrors my experience. And it does sort of cement the argument that while fighter types are pretty popular, I think their popularity is somewhat overstated. Either the fighter types are magic fighters types (rangers/paladins, eldritch knights) or many of the tables simply don't play higher level characters.

My prediction is that 3 or more single classed full casters by 7th level with reach about 30%. The zero full casters category might hit 10%, but, I doubt it.

So, we'll see how good I am at prediction.

OB1

Jedi Master
Was just wrapping up a level 20 campaign at the start of 22 with three full casters and 2 completely non-magical PCs (fighter, rogue).
Since then I’ve had two campaigns (Spelljammer and my home brew Sigil) neither of which have a non multi classes full caster in the party.
Also, my first 5e campaign that ran 3 years to level 20 had no full casters.
So whille I picked the 3 full caster option in the pool, my typical experience DMing has been the opposite.

ichabod

Legned
Hexblade, bard, and two clerics. Three were in my last campaign with a fighter and a rogue. One of the clerics is in my current campaign with a rogue, a paladin, and an artificer.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Five of twelve PCs at my table are single classed casters and one is Wizard 9/Cleric 1.

Our table likes to multiclass Sorcerer and Paladin (lately). I've also seen a ton of Fighter dips (2 to 5 levels).

Table #1
Wizard 9/Cleric 1
Bard 10
Warlock 10
Ranger 5/Rogue 5
Paladin 6/Sorcerer 4
Sorcerer 6/Warlock 4

Table #2
Druid 10
Cleric 10
Monk 10
Sorcerer 10
Cleric 6/Fighter 4
Paladin 5/Sorcerer 5

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Yep. Four of them, actually:
An abjuration wizard that went all the way to 16th level before the campaign ended,
A storm sorcerer that made it to 12th level before multiclassing,
A life cleric that made it to 16th level when the campaign ended,
And a wild magic sorcerer that died at 14th level.

We've also got a hexblade warlock at 17th level, but some folks here might argue that a warlock isn't a "full caster" and is some other fraction instead, so you can count it if your argument allows. :)

Last edited:

This is a followup on this thread: https://www.enworld.org/threads/do-you-see-fighter-players-at-your-own-table.698254/

So, in the other thread, there was a pretty solid 30% of tables that had zero single classed fighters by 7th level. This certainly mirrors my experience. And it does sort of cement the argument that while fighter types are pretty popular, I think their popularity is somewhat overstated. Either the fighter types are magic fighters types (rangers/paladins, eldritch knights) or many of the tables simply don't play higher level characters.

My prediction is that 3 or more single classed full casters by 7th level with reach about 30%. The zero full casters category might hit 10%, but, I doubt it.

So, we'll see how good I am at prediction.
I am going to weigh in on this because I was lurking in it's sister thread and I hope this doesn't get anyone mad.

I see full casters played all the time without multi classing. Cleric and WIzard most but a few bards.

RIght now I am playing a slightly multiclassed 3rd level rogue arcane trick 14th level illusionist so that isn't a straight full caster but we have both a cleric and a sorcerer in the game.

Would Warlock count? they both are and are not full casters, I see a lot of them.

We switched from D&D to Savage Worlds in late 2022, so the poll results are a little misleading for my "Yes" response. However, I have no reason to think that we would see any difference.

Since 2014 in 5e, we've always had a Druid, Cleric, Wizard, Sorcerer, or Bard in a campaign. Usually more than one. I can't recall any of them specifically being multiclassed, but I am pretty sure we had a Sorlock or two.

The closest we got to no primary caster was in 2022. We were playing Descent to Avernus. The main party was: Artificer, Ranger, Druid, Monk, and Paladin. The player of the Druid had to take a block of about eight weeks off. In the last session, before he left, the Druid character actually died in combat. It wasn't planned; that's just what happened. During his absence, the Artificer, Paladin, and Ranger were able to cover spellcasting needs. When the Druid player returned, he rolled up a Wizard.

As far as Fighter, since 2014 I only recall one single-class Fighter: a Champion I played to level 17-18 in Out of the Abyss+. All the rest were Fighter/Rogues, Fighter/Barbarians, or Ranger/Fighters. We did have a campaign where a Rune Knight was single-classed, but it ended early at about level 4 and I know the guy's plan was to move to Rogue after level 7.

if we count warlocks I have never in 5e seen a game without 2 or more and most times it is a full party of this.

We multi class to lower our power levels and extend the game, cause playing 17th level wizards are fun for the party not as much for the DM, but we never all do it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
We've got high level campaigns going with 2, 3, and 4 full casters. But in both of the campaigns with more than 2 casters, we usually have only 2 available at a time. So I answered 2.

Remove ads