D&D (2024) Do you see Full Casters played at your Table?

Do you see single classed full casters at your table

• During 2022-2023, my games have 3 or more play a single classed full casters to over level 7.

Votes: 49 59.0%
  • During 2022-2023, my games have 2 single classed full casters played to over level 7.

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • During 2022-2023, my games have 1 single classed full caster played to over level 7.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • During 2022-2023, my games have no single classed full casters played to over level 7.

Votes: 6 7.2%

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Half casters are noticeably more common, but we do sometimes see one of the interesting full casters like Bard, Druid, or Warlock. Even then it’s usually multiclassed to some degree.

Clint_L

Hero
Currently running two campaigns:

1. Druid, Artificer, Barbarian, Monk

2. Bard, Barbarian, Monk, Cleric, Fighter

Clearly monks and barbarians are OP.

On a serious note, that second party is stupidly tanky; it's a bit frustrating because I am having trouble building proper encounters for them. Not used to a party that willing, nay eager, to take a punch in the face and they keep mowing down my BBEGs. Clearly I need to be more inventive; I welcome suggestions.

Edit: Actually, the first party is basically all tanks, too, now I think about it. Yeah, I need to freshen up my encounter building because I am failing.

Edit 2: the poll is weird because it doesn't take into account party size. I looked at my campaigns from the past three years on DnDBeyond (17 campaigns, total, averaging 5.5 players) and the ratio of (more or less) full caster (warlock, druid, cleric, bard, sorcerer) to (more or less) other classes is just under 3:5 (so roughly 40%), though since a lot of players take a dip, I am just looking at primary class (i.e. I am counting a warlock 9 paladin 5 as a warlock).

The number of single-classed characters obviously went down as the campaigns levelled up, but there is not a noticeable bias in favour of multi-classing for players who start with a fighter as opposed to any other class. Monk is the only class that did not have a single instance of multi-classing. Fighter and rogue are the most popular dip classes in my sample; quite a few players seem to have been chasing that sweet, sweet action surge, and they apparently think sneak attack and cunning action are better than I do.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Currently running two campaigns:

1. Druid, Artificer, Barbarian, Monk

2. Bard, Barbarian, Monk, Cleric, Fighter

Clearly monks and barbarians are OP.

On a serious note, that second party is stupidly tanky; it's a bit frustrating because I am having trouble building proper encounters for them. Not used to a party that willing, nay eager, to take a punch in the face and they keep mowing down my BBEGs. Clearly I need to be more inventive; I welcome suggestions.
Off the top of my head, I'd focus on low-AC, high HP, high offense brutes for the melee. The party is going to be stupidly accurate with bless and a bard, might as well reward by them letting them hit pillows full of HP.

Ranged enemies, I'd focus on elemental types, with physical resistances and elemental damage/vulnerabilities.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
We see a lot of clerics and druids at my table (always the same players) and some sorcerer and warlock.

The only full spellcaster I've not seen in many years (outside of a character of mine who died at 1st level in a one-shot game) is Wizard. The fantasy it represent it really unappealing to my players.

Remathilis

Legend
Currently in my Ravenoft game:

Human Artificer - half caster
Human Blood Hunter - supernatural Martial class
Dhampir Bard - full caster
tabaxi* wizard - full caster
reborn sorcerer - full caster
hexblood cleric - full caster

Everybody has a bit of "magic" at the cost of being rather squishy (the blood hunter and cleric are the tanks) but several of the classes have "pets" that act as damage sponges as well. (zombies or hounds)

Remove ads