D&D (2024) Do you see Full Casters played at your Table?

Do you see single classed full casters at your table

• During 2022-2023, my games have 3 or more play a single classed full casters to over level 7.

Votes: 49 59.0%
  • During 2022-2023, my games have 2 single classed full casters played to over level 7.

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • During 2022-2023, my games have 1 single classed full caster played to over level 7.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • During 2022-2023, my games have no single classed full casters played to over level 7.

Votes: 6 7.2%

I typically ban cantrip classes (except warlocks) when I run 5e, so it's a deliberate "no" for me.
is that a flavor reason or a balance reason? I can see good arguments for both, but also against both.

I knew a woman who DMed since an older edition that HATED cantrips being at will and used to do everything she could to house rule around it.

Cruentus

Adventurer
is that a flavor reason or a balance reason? I can see good arguments for both, but also against both.

I knew a woman who DMed since an older edition that HATED cantrips being at will and used to do everything she could to house rule around it.
I'm not @Ath-kethin but we moved away from 5e, due to, among other things, the ease of magic, which included Cantrips as a major issue.

The ability to always have substantial magic on hand, unlimited use, particularly when those are damaging cantrips (scaling), light related effects, etc. which help to overcome environmental conditions, made the game less fun for us. When cantrips were first implemented way back, they were small, non-offensive spells that new casters would learn and they were things like cleaning a spot, or minor mending. Now they're every round scaling Firebolts and Tolling the Dead, which do more than many first level spells in comparison.

So, for us, trying to limit or remove Cantrips was balance and flavor.

We moved to OSE Advenced and B/X as a result of the arc that continues to trend upward in terms of game power, and the proliferation of magic. While the game is fantasy, and inherently magical, our table concept of magic is more "rare and powerful" rather than "commonplace, always available to everyone, and powerful".

Vael

Legend
Well, if I'm playing, I'm generally playing a full caster. Sorcerers, Druids, Bards are my jam. Ironically, with these restrictions ... I tried out a Ranger in Descent into Avernus, our last major adventure. I don't think my Bard got to 7th level, and my Aberrant Sorcerer is 6th level in a campaign that has kinda stalled for the summer.

But even if I'm DMing, I see full casters. I'm wrapping up Light of Xaryxis which had a full Cleric, I've got a Druid in the campaign I just started.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing

A little of both.

The real issue in had was the damaging cantrips. They seem to violate the idea of what a cantrips should do, at least in my opinion.

Though it's true I've also been running games since like 1994, so there's that as well.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
A little of both.

The real issue in had was the damaging cantrips. They seem to violate the idea of what a cantrips should do, at least in my opinion.

Though it's true I've also been running games since like 1994, so there's that as well.
Agreed. The idea of cantrips was ok way back in 3.x when they were usually a desperate/hopeful last resort or super minor thing. 5e has minor cantrips elevated to something that would be analogous to calling longbow great sword & rapier "shoddy improvised weapons".

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
We have one mega group. 8 players! Chaos reigns!

2 wizards (one divination, one evoker?) and a Druid. Level 9.

I am playing a blade pact fiend. At late levels I added barbarian because his demon axe is warping him. Could have easily been single…

Other group has two clerics and one sorcerer, one scout rogue and a Paladin warlock. Level 7s.

So that is 5 of 13 characters being single class casters…

Remove ads