• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Sometimes Purchase RPG Books Just To Read (Not For Play Purposes)?

Do You Sometimes Purchase RPG Books Just To Read (Not For Play Purposes)?

• Yes

Votes: 322 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 12.7%

hafrogman

Adventurer
Technically, not intentionally. I see the book (usually a system) and say "Hey, that looks like fun." I buy the book. I know my group will never play anything other than D&D, and I'll never actually play the game I just bought. But that doesn't mean I don't WANT to.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Only if I like the setting/system but aren't able for whatever reason to play it at the moment (like Shadowrun).

However if a book isn't interesting to read on its own, I will not buy it, regardless of anything else.

All the time. Though I'm looking forward to start my first Ghostwalk campaign, almost two years after I purchased the book. I'd like to play Castle Falkenstein too; I own the book and love it, but never got a chance to play.

Kesh

First Post
Pretty much my entire collection. I haven't had a regular gaming group for years, so most of my RPG purchases are for pure reading fun.

diaglo

Adventurer
Kesh said:
Pretty much my entire collection.

except for the first three booklets. pretty much the rest i buy just to read. i have used some of them. but mostly i just read them.

i'm currently reading a bunch of stuff as a judge for the ENnies.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Never. Ever.
All my gaming purchases affect my way of running a game and its contents, one way or another. Some aren't directly played or used, but they always influence my games somehow, by giving ideas or striking me as "something I really would not enjoy".

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Considering a lot of my purchases are made for reference, I am a resounding yes. About 50% of my bookshelf will never find its way into my game.

ZombieButch

First Post
All the time, although I rationalize by telling myself, "Hmm... I might want to use this for reference sometime!" About 20 or 30 GURPS sourcebooks alone made their way into my collection like that.

Remove ads