• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Sometimes Purchase RPG Books Just To Read (Not For Play Purposes)?

Do You Sometimes Purchase RPG Books Just To Read (Not For Play Purposes)?

• Yes

Votes: 322 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 12.7%

pogre

Legend
I only buy books I intend to use. If they do not get used off to ebay they go. Now, don't get me started on unpainted miniatures and good intentions....

Whisper72

Explorer
Due to RL and my location in Utrecht, Netherlands with few gaming groups available, I have not been able to play a TT game in several years. I played some through PBeM, but even that is difficult to keep going on a continuous basis. So, I still buy 'all' the books, to keep up and with the wishful thinking that 'one day' I will be able to use them all...

Pinotage

Explorer
Absolutely. I don't get to use half this things I buy, but I still like reading them. I might get to everything eventually!

Pinotage

Jedi_Solo

First Post
Yes. Being a player instead of a DM means I won't use as much anyway. I picked up the Draconomicon. I doubt that I will ever actuall USE the book in game. But its the Draconomicon! Or any of my Ravenloft books. I love Ravenloft.

wmasters

First Post
Well.. yes, I guess so. Most of the things I buy I intend to use at least some of it, if only as a reference tool, but it doesn't always work out that I do use it at all. Occasionally I buy things just because they're cool. The planes books seem a good example of this to me. Oh, and the Oathbound book, which I like but don't know if I'll get around to playing.

jinx crossbow

First Post
I buy a lot of RPG stuff just to read, about 50%.
Maybe some of them i will use in the furture.
Some books are just for giving ideas.
Ohers are that my table doesn't waggle anymore ;-)

Jinx

Old_Man_Fish

First Post
My campaigns are usually just vanilla. Three core books and that is it. I have all of the other books for ideas and inspiration...You can base your character off of one of the ideas in these books and I will give you a good amount of roleplaying xp if you can keep up the flavor of the PrC or Base Class without using the gobs of extra rules...

So, Yes, I buy books with no intention of "using" them....

(however, I do open up about 1 campaign in 4 where the players can use ANYTHING from a WoTC book).

NiTessine

Explorer
Yeah, occasionally, though not for full price.

Actually, something like a third of my gaming collection is stuff I bought because it looked interesting, not because I had a particular desire to play it. Also, a lot of it was bought at a 90% discount. This includes things like Nobilis, Orkworld, X-Crawl and several Judge Dredd and Sláine books.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads