• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Sometimes Purchase RPG Books Just To Read (Not For Play Purposes)?

• Yes

Votes: 322 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 12.7%

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Mark said:
Never with that intent, but in practice, many books have fallen into that category. In some cases, some of the books never got read. This is why I have almost completely stopped buying new gaming material.

Wombat

First Post
Mark said:

Sure, quite often.

Since I don't box myself in with a single system, I pick up books from a variety of systems; some of the systems are not that great, so I don't want to use the system, but there are still some fascinating ideas hidden in them. And this allows me to mix and max multiple ideas from multiple sources.

Opening your mind up to possibilities is one of the fun aspects of rpgs! :)

Mark said:

No, and I barely get through much of them anymore even for play purposes. I'm more likely to use them as a reference than as something to read, at least for supplements to core books.

KB9JMQ

First Post
I used to when I was better off financially.
I know I bought the Slaver and Giant series of modules just to read at the time because there was no way my group would ever get to them. They did eventually and I had them on hand but it was not the way I intended when I bought them.
The most recent was AU. I may someday use it but I really bought it to read.

Kid Socrates

First Post
All the time -- I love reading a good gaming book. When I bought Eberron, I didn't for a second think I'd ever play in it. Got lucky there, a few campaigns (that never got going, though). I've also got Hunter: The Reckoning for the same reason -- great read.

Eosin the Red

First Post
Mark said:

WOD books intrest me as I try to put everything together. I had buckets of Vampire books (40+ though I only played the game once or twice.)

7th Sea is the same - I own almost the entire line because it is darn fine reading but I dislike the system and swashbuckling is a plague to me (in RPGs).

I have several Midnight products but could never convince my group to try the setting.

Other "Primarily for reading enjoyment" sources -- Pendragon, Harn, MERP LotR (fantastic), and Star Wars RPG.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Psion said:
Not as much as I used to ... I am much less likely to buy something these days I don't think I'll play with. But yeah.

Pretty much my answer.

The older I get, the less time I have so the more important the book be something I'm going to actively use.

Crothian

First Post
Ya, but it is mostly different type of games. I know I'll never run Weapons of the Gods or Blue Planet or use most of m,y GURPS books, but they are fun to read and I don't mind that. And who knows, maybe in ten years I'll be playing Weapons of the Gods.

qstor

Adventurer
Kvantum said:
Barely 20%, I'd say, of my books actually get used in-game. The rest are just there for ideas and inspiration.

Same with me. I have a bunch of systems I've bought and never played :) Like Earthdawn, Morrow Project, 7th Sea d20, Bablyon 5 d20, Castle Falkenstein just to name a few :)

Mike

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads