• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Sometimes Purchase RPG Books Just To Read (Not For Play Purposes)?

Do You Sometimes Purchase RPG Books Just To Read (Not For Play Purposes)?

• Yes

Votes: 322 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 12.7%

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I own far more gaming material than I could reasonably use unless I won the lottery and gamed full-time. Most of the purchases were for intended use - but sometimes only as one-shots, or short campaigns, and the like.

So, effectively, much of it winds up only for reading.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
basically, what umbran said applies for me too.

some books, like Lords of Madness, i bought for cool reading material (and possible inspiration). which is not to say that i won't, or don't plan on using it, but it doesn't bother me that the material might not see use in a game i run.

now, Fiendish Codex I, i plan on reading the hell out of, and i will base a campaign around it if i can ever find the time to put it together. ;)

The Shaman

First Post
No.

I may not use a gaming supplement with the system for which it's intended, but I will find ways to incorporate material from the book into the games I am playing, or I won't buy it.

Though some gaming books are a pleasure to read, I don't buy game books for pleasure reading.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Reading this thread, I kept thinking, "... What? Why? I wish I had that kind of money to spend."

Then I remembered I did do that with one book. Phooey. ;)

Psion

Adventurer
Not as much as I used to ... I am much less likely to buy something these days I don't think I'll play with. But yeah.

Remove ads