D&D 5E Do you still roll a saving throw if you are immune to what you are saving against?

Voadam

Legend
For reference here is the language of the 5e PH page 179 on saving throws:

"A saving throw-also called a save-represents an attempt to resist a spell, a trap, a poison, a disease, or a similar threat. You don't normally decide to make a saving throw; you are forced to make one because your character or monster is at risk of harm."

Page 205:

"Many spells specify that a target can make a saving throw to avoid some or all of a spell's effects. The spell specifies the ability that the target uses for the save and what happens on a success or failure."

From the 5e DMG page 238:

"A saving throw is an instant response to a harmful effect and is almost never done by choice. A save makes the most sense when something bad happens to a character and the character has a chance to avoid that effect. An ability check is something a character actively attempts to accomplish, whereas a saving throw is a split-second response to the activity of someone or something else.
Most of the time, a saving throw comes into play when an effect-such as a spell, monster ability, or trap-calls for it, telling you what kind of saving throw is involved and providing a DC for it.
Other times, a situation arises that clearly calls for a saving throw, especially when a character is subjected to a harmful effect that can't be hedged out by armor or a shield. It's up to you to decide which ability score is involved. The Saving Throws table offers suggestions."

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Maybe we're doing it wrong, but at my table, "Immune to an effect or damage type" is not the same thing as "don't roll a save throw." First we resolve the effect, then we apply resistance or immunity.

Mage casts fireball on the red dragon and her tiefling cultists.
All targets roll their Dexterity save throws.
Player rolls the damage spell damage.
Targets that made the save take half damage.
Resistance reduces that damage further.
Immunity reduces that damage to zero.

Why do we bother rolling for the red dragon? Well, there are a number of reasons at my table, but I'll give you the top three. The biggest reason is because certain spells and abilities might have other effects that trigger on a failed save throw, we fell into the habit of always rolling. (shrug)

Another reason: rolling the dice is a more satisfying action resolution than just a deadpan announcement from the DM. It's just more fun, and things flow better...until the save throw is rolled, the spellcasting action feels unfinished or incomplete. It also helps keep the players from asking "but what about the dragon?" for the rest of the scene.

A third reason: most VTT macros are configured to automatically roll saves on the target(s) selected, and it would be more work to disable that feature for certain tokens and actors. The save throw is right there in the chat window, and the players can see that the fire damage was reduced to zero. Click, click, done.

There are other reasons too, but these are the biggest ones at my table.

seebs

Adventurer
I think the statement that you don't normally choose to roll a save is qualified that way for a reason. Normally you don't decide to roll a save, but if you would in theory have a save, and for some reason you want to make the roll even though you won't be harmed even if you fail the save, sure, I'd let you.

Remove ads