• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you still use your 3.0 books?

Do you still use your 3.0 books?

• Yes, all the time.

Votes: 79 25.6%
  • Sometimes I use rules, for example a feat or prestige class, as written.

Votes: 42 13.6%
  • Sometimes I use rules after converting them to 3.5.

Votes: 54 17.5%
  • Sometimes I use ideas from the book, but I don't use any of the rules crunch.

Votes: 41 13.3%
  • I still look through the books, but I don't really use them.

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • I haven't touched them at all in some time.

Votes: 77 24.9%

rgard

Adventurer
Slight tangent...I'll probably be sticking with 3.x instead of moving to 4.x. I just have too many 3.x books and minis (I use the cards as quick reference during D&D play) to transition to the new game. I will pick up the 4e PHB at some point just out of curiousity to see what they do with levels 21-30. Forgot to mention the Epic Level Handbook and I still use that as well, but if I like 4e's version of levels 21-30 and or Epic play, I'll back-convert it to 3.5.

Thanks,
Rich

ptolemy18

First Post
I made the mistake of buying two 3.0 Player's Handbooks just a few months before 3.5 came out (whoops! Should've been paying attention...) So I still pass out Player's Handbooks to players once in a while when I'm running a big game, although it occasionally leads to confusion.

Also, most of the good third-party D&D supplements are for 3.0, not 3.5 (at least the ones I like -- Green Ronin's Mythic Vistas and Atlas Games' African Adventures and so on). 3.0 was the "big creative flowering" of third-party D&D products. So I always use these. And I use 3.0 house rules in a lot of little things... mostly the arcane spells lists since I don't like how they nerfed the magic in 3.5.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Still using these plenty, and I didn't even get back into gaming until after 3.5. ;) The monsters don't need really any conversion, though I will use conversion PDFs.

Honestly, though, I'd use the 3.0 splats more if some of the writing hadn't been cut-and-pasted into other sources (say, the 3.5 core books). If only I'd realized that about the traps, feats, and flanking rules, etc, I might not have gotten Song & Silence. 'Course, I don't have the Complete books, so the PrCs may come in useful someday. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads