• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you still use your 3.0 books?

Do you still use your 3.0 books?

• Yes, all the time.

Votes: 79 25.6%
  • Sometimes I use rules, for example a feat or prestige class, as written.

Votes: 42 13.6%
  • Sometimes I use rules after converting them to 3.5.

Votes: 54 17.5%
  • Sometimes I use ideas from the book, but I don't use any of the rules crunch.

Votes: 41 13.3%
  • I still look through the books, but I don't really use them.

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • I haven't touched them at all in some time.

Votes: 77 24.9%

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Some of the 3rd edition vs. 4th edition stuff has me wondering how much use older books see when they don't represent the current set of rules, and often have been "overwritten" by conversions of the old material in newer books. So I'd like to know, if you made the switch from 3.0 to 3.5, do you still use you old 3.0 books? I'm mostly interested in knowing whether the splatbooks like Tome and Blood are in use, but also books like Book of Vile Darkness and Fiend Folio.

So, do you use them? If so, what do you use, and how often?

Victim

First Post
Our games use 3.5 rules, but we didn't bother to buy new core books so our at the table references use the older books unless we know that area's been changed.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I still have my 3.0 MM (first D&D book!), which I look at for ideas. I also still use the Monsters of Faerun and MMII, and I read MotP. I convert all the monster stats though (often using the conversion guides) and write up my own versions (I usually custom write all my monsters and advance them and stuff anyway, 3.5 or not).

As for PC books, I'm basically using 100% 3.5-hardly even touch the older ones.

sniffles

First Post
For a long time we were still using our 3.0 DMG, but last Christmas my fiancee gave me a 3.5 copy. I haven't touched any other 3.0 book for many moons.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Quite often.

For example, I'm currently playing a character with Devoted Defender levels (from Sword and Fist). It's a fairly narrow PrC that never got updated to the best of my knowledge, and I decided to use it rather than d20 Modern's Bodyguard for this character because firearms proficiency didn't fit my concept.

I actually get a lot of mileage out of Sword and Fist and Oriental Adventures, since both had quite a few classes that never got updated. The latter has an update document in an issue of Dragon, which I actually own, but I often forget or don't bother to use it.

I also use quite a bit of 3.0 d20 material, such as the Nyambe core book and AEG's Rokugan Campaign Setting.

When I owned a 3.5 update, I (almost) always used the 3.5 version, but very little was changed in most of this material.

Wik

First Post
I use a few of 'em. Namely, Call of Cthulu d20 (which is, of course, wickedawesome), Manual of the Planes, and Savage Species.

Tharkun

First Post
All the time, the group I'm in for the most part doesn't need to use 3.5. We will use the classes & feats out of 3.0 & 3.5 depending on what a player wants to do. Core is 3.0 though.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I never bought a 3.5 MM or DMG, so I still use the 3.0 versions all the time.

Also, converted feats from various 3.0 splatbooks. Is BoVD 3.0? If so, I use that as well.

Also, since we still use 3.0 rules for fighting w/ 2 weapons, I sometimes find myself looking at that chart in the 3.0 PHB.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads