• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you still use your 3.0 books?

Do you still use your 3.0 books?

• Yes, all the time.

Votes: 79 25.6%
  • Sometimes I use rules, for example a feat or prestige class, as written.

Votes: 42 13.6%
  • Sometimes I use rules after converting them to 3.5.

Votes: 54 17.5%
  • Sometimes I use ideas from the book, but I don't use any of the rules crunch.

Votes: 41 13.3%
  • I still look through the books, but I don't really use them.

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • I haven't touched them at all in some time.

Votes: 77 24.9%

Wombat

First Post
This is difficult to answer...

Yes, I still have my 3.0 books. No, I didn't make the switch to 3.5, although I do have some supplements that are meant for 3.5 instead of 3.0. No, I don't use the books because I am using an entirely different system (Ars Magica, 7th Sea, albeit for different games).

If I were to play D&D again, it would probably be 3.0, if that answers your question. ;)

sckeener

First Post
Heck I still use Fluff from 1st and 2nd edition...of course I'm going to continue using 3rd ed books. The parts I'll probably exclude are the crunch books unless I'm trying to recreate something (probably a monster) that hasn't been converted.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I still use most of 'em. Some of my favorite prestige classes never got the 3.5 treatment (weapon master, lasher, master of chains), some of my favorite monsters didn't get the 3.5 update, and other stuff scattered here and there (like the crushing fist of spite spell).

I generally try to "3.5ize" crunchy bits if they seem outdated.

And of course, I still use books from every edition for flavor and inspiration.

JustKim

First Post
Manual of the Planes, Savage Species, Monsters of Faerun, Fiend Folio, Monster Manual 2, Arms & Equipment Guide, Denizens of Avadnu, basically anything worthwhile that hasn't already been updated. If I'm using a WotC monster book I check the revision file for changes, and in the case of 3.0 monsters it's usually prudent to add HD, but by and large I use it without any alterations.

Lashers were cool, but after I used it to make a PC who did around 100 damage a round, I'm not allowed to use that PrC anymore. :(

Delta

First Post
Oops, shouldn't have voted -- I didn't see the "if you made the switch from 3.0 to 3.5" text before throwing in a vote. Discount 1 from the top category if you want.

cmrscorpio

Explorer
During 3.0, I really didn't have that much spending money to spend on books, so the only 3.0 books I had (besides core) were Book of Vile Darkness, Manual of the Planes, Monsters of Faerun, MM2. I still use at least one of them in some form or another in most sessions.

I also have the d20 Call of Cthulhu, and although it isn't a D&D book, I still use it as often as I can get away with it. In particular, the chapters on DMing, Mental Illness, and Weapons are unsurpassed in terms of quality of information. The monsters are great to use as well. Nothing's more fun as a DM than allowing the PCs to find an egg seed of a Colour Out of Space and then watching them take it back into town to sell it to a jeweler. Town was never the same after it hatched. :D

Psion

Adventurer
If there's no conversion of material I use in it, heck yeah.

My favorite Drow book, Plot and Poison, never saw a 3.5 upgrade. :(

Creature Collection II is also a longtime fave that never saw an update.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads