• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you still use your 3.0 books?

Do you still use your 3.0 books?

• Yes, all the time.

Votes: 79 25.6%
  • Sometimes I use rules, for example a feat or prestige class, as written.

Votes: 42 13.6%
  • Sometimes I use rules after converting them to 3.5.

Votes: 54 17.5%
  • Sometimes I use ideas from the book, but I don't use any of the rules crunch.

Votes: 41 13.3%
  • I still look through the books, but I don't really use them.

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • I haven't touched them at all in some time.

Votes: 77 24.9%

Greylock

First Post
I only recently got rid of my 3.0 PHB, and almost immediately regretted it. Soon after, we dabbled around with a Dragonstar Campaign, and the 3.0 PHB was needed. Fortunately, there is a 3.0 SRD online. The splat books are gone, although I used them in a campaign as recently as two years ago. The adventures, however, and all the 3rd party 3.0 material I have is here to stay.

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
Hmmm... I voted I don't touch them, but now that I think about it I do use the MMII, FF, Arms & Equipment and MotP still. BoVD/SS are on my bookshelf, but I haven't looked at them in ages. With the exception of the first 4 everything else has been pretty much reprinted.

Uder

First Post
If I need to convert anything to C&C I usually hit the 1e or 2e books first. If there's something so cool from 3.0 (or 3.5) that's not covered by a previous edition and needs an actual rule around it I'll... hmm. I guess I'll get back to you when that happens.

bilwar

First Post
I still use MM2, and FF, along with some of the splat books, dont use the 3.0 core books, they are just part of my collection of OD&D, 1st ED, 2nd ED, books, on one of my bookshelves

Sunderstone

First Post
MM2 and FF with the 3.5 update pdf.

I dumped the FR campaign setting awhile back (after being in FR from day 1) and returned to Greyhawk, so those books are also getting dusty.

Jhaelen

First Post
All the time. I never bothered to get the 3.5 PHB or DMG. I'm still using them during the game sessions in combination with a couple of SRD print-outs.

One of my players is playing a lasher from Sword & Fist. And when I'm preparing games I even sometimes consult the 3.0 psionics books (e.g. to get ideas for appropriate npc gear)!

Aus_Snow

First Post
Sure, though I convert it all to around "3.3" or "3.4", beforehand or (sometimes) on the fly. So I chose third from the top in your poll. Close enough, I guess.

Tome of Horrors, Monster Manual II, Fiend Folio, Book of Vile Darkness. . . and quite a few more. I seriously don't see the need to go chucking out books that are almost completely compatible, and convertible with minimal effort. Even if there had been 3.5 replacements, I most likely wouldn't have bought them, let alone thrown away the old.

Mind you, I started (again) with 3.5, not 3.0. So perhaps I don't quite get the whole pain and angst regarding that nefarious .5 update thing.

Ant

First Post
We've been playing 3.5 since it was released and we're always referring back to 3.0 books -- Arms and Equipment Guide, MM2, the class splat books (Defenders of the Faith etc), 3rd party products (eg AEGs Merenaries) etc etc.

Of course, as DM I also refer back to 2nd edition , AD&D and Basic.

Remove ads