D&D 5E Do you think the monk has too few ki points? And my proposal.

5ekyu

Hero
That's not quite where I was going with this. It's not that assuming two short rests per long rest is necessarily bad. The bad part is failing to realize that the assumption doesn't always hold, and that you can't always predict when it will fail.

You said that you'll usually have about half of your points to spend in any given fight, and often you'll have all of your points when you need them for a big fight. You didn't mention that, sometimes, you won't have any points in a fight.

Budgeting short-rest resources is much more difficult than budgeting long-rest resources. A wizard is fine whether you have two short rests between encounters, or alternate 1/4/1, or even 1/1/1/1/1/1. A monk needs to guess how many encounters there will be between rests, and guessing incorrectly will leave them with wasted or excess ki points.

Of course, the monk will also be fine if they take a short rest after six encounters in a day, where a wizard is just out of luck, which might actually happen sometimes. Like I said, resting can be unpredictable. It's even less predictable for short-rest classes, though.

First, i didn't assume two short rests per long rest, did I?

"i would say that in my experience the monk is not at all underpowered - especially from ki points. With them recovering at short rests in full - thats basically resulting in at worst half your ki available for a fight and often almost all of them for big fights if you don't just spew them around on minions."

This is displaying "in my experience" and "basically" that "if you don't just spew them around on minions" you will have roughly half or more of your ki points available for the fights (other than just minions) and that boils down to maybe 2-3 non-minion fights between short rests - "basically".

"Basically" does not mean guaranteed or not recognizing that other cases will come up from time to time while setting up the reference point for the conclusion of are there enough ki points for the monk provided now.

Again, if you have a different set benchmark, please provide it and of course also account for every other possibility.

Remove ads