• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you use psionics?

Do you use psionics?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 118 57.8%
  • No, it has too much of a sci-fi feel.

Votes: 21 10.3%
  • No, I am not forking over another $30 for the book.

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • No, I just don't like it.

Votes: 36 17.6%
  • Other, post below.

Votes: 24 11.8%

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
hong said:
I don't use psionics. Heck, in my current campaign, I don't even use wizards. :)

(or paladins, or monks, or druids)

Dude, that's cause you're playing Battletech. Sheesh.

I love psionics. They're an integral part of my game, and add quite a bit to the campaign.

boothbey

First Post
Psionics..

Have a couple of people that like psionics in the game I run. I personally like psionics, and one of the main villains was a psionic lich.

Only problem I really have is with the astral constructs. In my opinion they have too many immunities and resistances and as constructs cant be banished.

One of the most fun things to happen as a result of having psionics in a campaign is the party telepath mind switched with a beholder and is now stuck in that body. (Technically it should not have happened as you can't mind switch with a large creature, but this is too much fun to enforce that rule). Luckily the player has not figured out how to maximize his effectiveness. A high level psi with a beholder's eye powers and the ability to project an anti magic field.

Vymair

First Post
I like Psionics but agree they don't have a place in every game. They do create a need for the DM to figure out why they exist alongside the divine and arcane as sources of power.

DiamondB

Explorer
Supporter
Well so far I haven't had psionics in any game in which I've played or been the GM. As a result I haven't spent the time getting familiar with the 3e psionic rules, though after the once over when I first bought the book I found that I did like them better than the previous versions.

In my homebrew campaign world psionics don't exist in the present day, but they did play a major role in the past. My world, Terra Viejo, has its design roots in our own world and as such a lot of its mythic history is based upon our own. The relevance to psionics lies in the lost continent, and fallen empire, of Atlantis. Being a student of Philosophy, in particular the writings of Plato, I've developed my Atlantis according to Plato's model. I won't go into all the details, but Plato's Philosopher Kings are all psionic in my world. Basically the Atlantian empire was ruled by those with psionic power with all others serving them. When Atlantis sank beneath the waves that power went with it, though there are a few genetic holdouts in the hidden reaches of the world.

ichabod

Legned
Other

I like psionics, but I felt the book was rather uninspiring. Sort of more like giving sorceror's a point system and renaming everything. So I ported over the Call of Cthulhu psychic feats, replacing sanity loss with temporary ability damage, but keeping the actual possibility of going insane.

Dark Psion

First Post
Dragongirl said:
Just asking because it seems I rarely see mention of these powers in anyone's posts and it seems to be underused.

That's because most of us Psions are over at the Wizard's Psi Board.

http://boards.wizards.com/rpg-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=123&DaysPrune=20

Psi discussion tend to interupted by flaming trolls here.

I am currently toying with a "four powers" set up, kind of like the way the elements are set up. Divine magic opposes Psionics and Natural magic opposes Arcane magic.
It's a work in progress, but so is D&D :D

Silverthrone

Banned
Banned
No, because in third edition it is way too much like magic, and way to weak to be used in our campaigns.

We like psionics to be an alien power compared to magic, two different sorts of power with no similarities between them as far as interaction goes.

Last edited:

Turgenev

Hero
I voted 'other'. The only place where I'm currently using the Psionic powers (not the classes) is in the d20 Pulp Heroes game. :) As for D&D, I have no real opinion either way. I normally don't include them but if someone wanted to play a psionic character I wouldn't disallow it either.

Cheers,
Tim
Thrilling d20 Adventures

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads