Doctor Who (2020) - spoilers!

So, now the "secret" is out about the true nature of the Doctor. I know a lot of people hate it aggressively so, is that the reason there were no new posts in a while? ;)

I have some mixed feelings. I kinda liked the idea that the Doctor was a special Timelord because of the choices (s)he made for her life. He didn't need a "special" origin. It's a big retcon in ways, but in ways that's also not really a big deal to me - Gallifrey has been a dead place for most of the series, and I haven't actually seen much of the previous shows to notice how much it might retcon, because it basically retcons nothing in the "new" series.
With how bad the show is currently tanking i think in a few seasons they'll retcon his new origin (along with a lot of other things. The shows looking pretty shaky on its legs right now) It will be one of the fastest "i take it back"s in the history of double retcons.

Herschel

Adventurer
He’s my favourite Doctor by far. His last two seasons were excellent.

This, so much this. I didn't like his first series much, but LOVED The final two. He and Missy were brilliant together, as well, easily my favorite Doctor/Master combo. Jodie's cool, but her first series I missed Peter. I really dislike the three seasons and next format because you get "intro season where they figure it out" followed by "Yay, now we're talking" leading to "Farewell tour? We just got to know the real you!" and then "who's the new person?" all over again.

I like Graham and Yaz as companions, but admit Ryan often seems like the character-building prop for the other two.

Herschel

Adventurer
Bill was bloody awesome. My favourite New Who companion in an excellent season with a wonderful performance by Capaldi. That season was Who at its very best. So was Donna. I found Clara and Martha to both be quite boring. And Rose was fantastic, of course.

The more I watch the older episodes in comparison, the less I like Rose. Bill and Donna are my favorites, but Rose just feels a bit weak. Of course that may be shaped by my love of Lucie Miller in the Big Finish 8th stories, who did the "girl from the projects" in a way I enjoyed more.

Herschel

Adventurer
So, now the "secret" is out about the true nature of the Doctor. I know a lot of people hate it aggressively so, is that the reason there were no new posts in a while? ;)

I have some mixed feelings. I kinda liked the idea that the Doctor was a special Timelord because of the choices (s)he made for her life. He didn't need a "special" origin. It's a big retcon in ways, but in ways that's also not really a big deal to me - Gallifrey has been a dead place for most of the series, and I haven't actually seen much of the previous shows to notice how much it might retcon, because it basically retcons nothing in the "new" series.

But remember, just as The Doctor lies, The Master is even more duplicitous. And crazy. It could be his conspiracy theory rather than reality.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But remember, just as The Doctor lies, The Master is even more duplicitous. And crazy. It could be his conspiracy theory rather than reality.

He is crazy, but he isn't stupid. And I doubt the writers are apt to say, "It was all nonsense," after making such a big deal of it - that's unsatisfying storytelling. It is possible the Master didn't have it all correct, but there'll be significant truth to it.

Herschel

Adventurer
He is crazy, but he isn't stupid. And I doubt the writers are apt to say, "It was all nonsense," after making such a big deal of it - that's unsatisfying storytelling. It is possible the Master didn't have it all correct, but there'll be significant truth to it.

Maybe, maybe not. It could be the Master's attempt to manipulate The Doctor for some other purpose. He's ever the schemer (in most incarnations) with an almost hypnotic way of twisting others' beliefs and memories. There are so many ways they can go with this.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe, maybe not. It could be the Master's attempt to manipulate The Doctor for some other purpose.

I think, "That huge thing we writers dropped on you last season? Forget it, it was all a lie." would go over like thunderous flatulence in front of a parole board to the audience.

He's ever the schemer (in most incarnations) with an almost hypnotic ...

It isn't "almost" hypnotic. Canonically, "Both the Doctor and the Master have been shown to be skilled hypnotists, although the Master's capacity to dominate – even by stare and voice alone – has been shown to be far more pronounced." - The Master (Doctor Who) - Wikipedia

MarkB

Legend
I think, "That huge thing we writers dropped on you last season? Forget it, it was all a lie." would go over like thunderous flatulence in front of a parole board to the audience.
About as well as "Hey, you know how we killed off the Time Lords, and then had this big-deal plot line about bringing them back? Well, now they're dead again. And also cybermen, for some reason."

Herschel

Adventurer

While it wouldn't be the first time, more like a half-truth, which has a LOT of options.

Remove ads