• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spoilers Doctor Who 2024 (spoilers)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Until now those were all aliens with scientific explanations. The show now includes actual magic.
kind of - the Toymaker always been magic, and Sutekh and the Gods of Ragnarok have powers beyond our universe that may as well be magic. Also see the Not-things at the end of the universe

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
kind of - the Toymaker always been magic, and Sutekh and the Gods of Ragnarok have powers beyond our universe that may as well be magic. Also see the Not-things at the end of the universe
Well they pretty much retconned Toymaker as magic. That wasn’t the case originally.

And the Not-things, that was the point. That’s where the magic stuff comes from—beyond the universe.

But Who has always been a sci-fi show. This new push into the supernatural is a deliberate course change, as RTD keeps telling us in interviews and behind the scenes stuff.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The line between sf and magic has always been wibbley wobbly.
Kinda. But the underlying premise was always that it was science (fiction) even when utterly fantastical. Now they’re bringing in explicitly supernatural stuff.

they also had salt - indeed the Toymakers box is bound in salt.
and considering that the Doctor has regularly fought vampires, werewolves, gods and demons having a bit of salt and silver on hand seems like good policy

Salt is also used when the Doctor and Donna encounter the Not-things at the edge of the universe (the encounter that directly links to the Toymaker crossing over)
Salt was used in Image of the Fendhl. It wasn’t a UNIT story, but it took place on contemporary Earth, so UNIT would have found out about it.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
well that was a freaky episode, seems like a call back to Turn left. Also if Kate's comments are anything to go by seem that the supernatural is now in an uptake, since UNIT also carries salt and sliver among the anti-alien tech they already use.
I noticed that she referred to "this timeline" - the timeline she and Ruby were in at that moment. This seemed like a pointed comment, but it might just be a reference to her/UNIT's awareness of varying and shifting timelines.

I love that UNIT has training and technology to deal with an array of dangerous alien/weird powers and phenomena, like they are hyper-vigilant. I really want a UNIT show now, dealing with timelines and ramifications. Conceptually, that sounds a bit reminiscent of the TVA in the Loki series
Salt is also used when the Doctor and Donna encounter the Not-things at the edge of the universe (the encounter that directly links to the Toymaker crossing over)
Tennant let the supernatural into the universe by spilling the salt at the edge of the universes. He said this explicitly during The Giggle.
I think this is worth emphasizing, and I hope this becomes something the Doctor - either of them - has to do something about or take responsibility for. He's made everything at least twice as hard for UNIT, for example.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads