• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spoilers Doctor Who 2024 (spoilers)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Of the 5 Gatwa episodes so far the first 4 have been at the silly end - two featuring babies and 3 with musical numbers.

It's what made Boom seem like a breath of fresh air. -> or just an indicator that I prefer that more grounded, high stakes story.

I did note that the Doctor referred to himself as a "complex space-time event" another reference to Matt Smith era, which talks about how the Doctors mere existence warps reality - so with that, Ruby's snow and the Toymakers threat, it looks like reality warping is going to be a major theme again this season, let's just hope we get more Boom than Snot-monsters
Oh yeah, I'm ALWAYS going to prefer an episode like Boom (I'm a sucker for stories about War - especially ones that are critical of War and Capitalism!) over any episode about fart-aliens, snot-monsters, or space babies.

But I have room in my heart for both.

Ryujin

Legend
Oh yeah, I'm ALWAYS going to prefer an episode like Boom (I'm a sucker for stories about War - especially ones that are critical of War and Capitalism!) over any episode about fart-aliens, snot-monsters, or space babies.

I was always a little surprised that the episode starring Mrs. Doctor didn't result in a spin-off, like "The Sarah Jane Adventures."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
-> or just an indicator that I prefer that more grounded, high stakes story.

There's only so often you can save the entire universe and have the stakes remain compelling. Sometimes you have to lift your foot off the throttle.

I would just prefer they not lift the foot off the throttle and then step into dirty diaper jokes.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I quite like that it's a -- sort of -- anthology series and each episode could be any genre or tone. Sure that means some episodes I won't like so much: farting aliens, space babies, man-eating wheelie-bins, etc. But I'm OK knowing that because there will also be a bunch of episodes that I love. And I kinda enjoy not knowing what's coming next. Is it a pirate romp? Is it a dark vampire tale? Is it a gritty sci-fi piece? Is it a fanciful fairytale? Is it a dramatic character piece? Is it comedic, scary, dark, whimsical, serious, dramatic, silly? It could be any of those things! And it's all Doctor Who.

Hussar

Legend

Very much this.

I loved how Boom called back to The Empty Child episode. Not directly but it’s still got similar tones. The weapons Factories of Villengard caught my attention.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I've just watched 73 Yards and I'm still unsure what to think of it. It was an intriguing mystery, showcasing rural wales, at times sad and surprising in how it subverted a bit of great welsh folk horror, but it relied on not giving explanations, so while I get the notion that the story was good, it feels like somethings missing ....

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I've just watched 73 Yards and I'm still unsure what to think of it. It was an intriguing mystery, showcasing rural wales, at times sad and surprising in how it subverted a bit of great welsh folk horror, but it relied on not giving explanations, so while I get the notion that the story was good, it feels like somethings missing ....
"What did she say?"

Hussar

Legend
I can see that. Personally, I liked it. It really reminded me of the first Weeping Angels ep - another Doctorless episode. They do one every season. In the end, I kinda like that they didn't actually explain stuff. It just happens. And the story was great.

Solid A from me for this one and the last episode. The first three? I can see why people might be a bit... dicey on them. Sure. I get that. But, these last two eps have been rock solid.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
I haven’t seen these latest Who episodes yet, so every time I hear/read “Space Babies!” I recall Zorak’s “I’m a Space Baby!” from the ‘$20.01’ episode of Space Ghost Coast-To-Coast:

IMG_0778.jpeg

(It’s probably just me, but it keeps me from noticing any major spoilers while dangerously skimming this thread.)

Remove ads