• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Who Ncuti Gatwa Xmas Special & s1

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I'm not an expert on Classic Doctor Who, but I've gotten the impression that most of the companions back then just left and/or were abandoned by the Doctor – we've seen at least four of them show up in post-reboot Who, after all, and they all seemed relatively fine other than an overdeveloped sense of adventure. Compare that to the fates of nuWho Companions:
  • Rose Tyler: got trapped on a parallel Earth (although later with a human clone of 10, so not all bad).
  • Martha Jones: left of her own accord and joined UNIT. Good for her!
  • Donna Noble: Got Time Lord-ified and had to be mindwiped by the Doctor to save her life. Fixed in the 60th specials, but still.
  • Amy Pond: got sent back in time by a Weeping Angel. Lived out her days with the love of her life, but still bitter-sweet.
  • Clara Oswald: Killed by a time shade in the form of a raven, although the Doctor did some shenanigans to keep a zombie version around.
  • Bill Potts: Got turned into a Cyberman.
  • Graham O'Brien, Ryan Sinclair, Yasmeen Khan: left of their own accord. Good for them!
So, that's 5 out of 9 (or out of 7 if you count "the Fam" as a single collective) companions who suffered severe consequences for being companions. That's pretty rough.
"Well that's alright then!"

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Clara Oswald: Killed by a time shade in the form of a raven, although the Doctor did some shenanigans to keep a zombie version around.
That's not quite what happened. Clara was pulled from the moment before her death and given a TARDIS and went on endless adventures with Me, the human the 12th Doctor made immortal because he couldn't stand to lose another person. There's no zombie version of Clara from what I remember.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
That was a fantastic scene.

And it’s a theme that has been hit on repeatedly. “There must be someone out there I haven’t screwed over! So much guilt!”
Really there's a lot of companions who left of their own accord without any incident. Things may have happened to them while not on the show, but it's not always the Doctor's fault.

Not checking up on them later might be, though, as Sarah Jane points out (though at least she got a K-9!).

But you also have characters like Liz Shaw, Jo Grant, Leela, and Romana who decided to do their own thing with their lives.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
(Not my list btw just one I copied somewhere)
Susan: The Doctor left her on war torn Earth in the 22nd century with her soon to be husband. 0

Ian and Barbara: Returned back to their home time a few years late, but otherwise unharmed. Got married. +

Vicki: Chose to live during the Tojan War and got married. +

Steven: Helps rebuild a future civilization. +

Katarina: Died getting sucked out of an airlock. -

Dodo: brainwashed to betray the Doctor, sent to recuperate, Never came back -

Polly and Ben: Returned to their home time. Didn't get married. Maybe?

Jamie: Time Lords returned him to the 18th century and wiped his memories of the Doctor. Probably. 0

Victoria: From the 19th century. Was left orphaned when she met the Doctor, she was adopted (she was 15) by a couple in the mid 20th century. 0

The Brigadier: Lived a long live, died around the year 2011. +

Zoe: Time Lords returned her to the late 21th century and wiped her memories of the Doctor.

Liz: Returned to Cambridge. Or not.

Jo: Left the Doctor to get married. Still alive in the early 2000s.+

Sarah Jane - got her own adventures ++

Harry: whitau Unit to go work for MI5

Leela (and K9 Mark I): Decided to stay on Gallifrey because she fell in love with a man she just met.

Romana (and K9 Mark II): Stayed in E-Space for a bit. Eventually returned to Gallifrey.

Adric: Died in a spaceship explosion that wiped out the dinosaurs. -

Nyssa: Chose to leave to help find a cure for a disease.

Tegan: Travels with the Doctor were too traumatic, so she left to her own time.

Turlough: Returned to him home planet, Triton.

Peri: Brain swapped with an alien. Became bald. Died. Or maybe she didn't, her future got fragmented so anything is...

Kamelion: Killed by the Doctor himself, (Kamelion asked him to do it)

Mel: She left, but it's been suggested the Doctor made her leave - she joined Sabalom Glitz for her own adventures

Ace: Died young. Grew older, left the Doctor in the 26th century when he betrayed her, joined spacefleet. Went to the Academy on Gallifrey. Runs a modern day charity, but it might be a front for UNIT.

Grace: Met the Doctor on a few rare occasions but is otherwise doing well, probably.

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
Leela (and K9 Mark I): Decided to stay on Gallifrey because she fell in love with a man she just met.
That one still rankles. Especially since she had met up with a group of "tribesmen" on Gallifrey where she would have fit in quite nicely, if they were just looking for a way to write her out as a companion.

Johnathan

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Good, I think. (Having not really seen enough to have an opinion on Millie's acting or character.)

Most modern companions' first season has seemed to me to be their most interesting.

(IMO, YMMV.)

Remove ads