Doctor Who: The Return of Russell T. Dalek... um, DAVIES

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Capaldi's seasons definitely signaled the end of the reboot, to me, at least.

I love Jodie's performance, but I don't jive well with the puerile tone the show adopted in its later seasons.

Additionally, I found the idea of multiple companions somewhat perplexing. It's an innovation, for sure, but not one I'd keep.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Capaldi's seasons definitely signaled the end of the reboot, to me, at least.
Capaldi is my favourite Doctor.

Additionally, I found the idea of multiple companions somewhat perplexing. It's an innovation, for sure, but not one I'd keep.

Nah, they used to do that all the time in the old days. It's less innovation and more an attempt to borrow some elements of the old show.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Nah, they used to do that all the time in the old days. It's less innovation and more an attempt to borrow some elements of the old show.

Yeah. The First Doctor had multiple companions for his entire run, I think. And there were multiples for many seasons of old Who.

And even in nuWho - Rose and Mickey for the 10th Doctor. Amy and Rory for the 11th. Nothing new about it at all.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I certainly won't argue with you on that! It's a shame, too, because he wrote some great episodes.

Just think that this a bit of a weird choice. There's a whole world of people out there, and as much as I love everything RTD did for the franchise, I'm not sure why they went this direction.

But hey- not my circus, not my monkeys.
Yes, there were many other ways to go. I think they are maybe being reactionary? Silly I think, but who knows.

MarkB

Legend
Not sure who was showrunner and when just the earlier seasons were better and a decline in quality late Matt Smith era and it fell off a cliff with Capaldi.
Russell T Davies was the showrunner for the whole of Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant's runs.

Stephen Moffatt was the showrunner for the whole of Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi's runs.

Chris Chibnall was the showrunner for Jodie Whittaker's run.

Zardnaar

Legend
Russell T Davies was the showrunner for the whole of Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant's runs.

Stephen Moffatt was the showrunner for the whole of Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi's runs.

Chris Chibnall was the showrunner for Jodie Whittaker's run.

Cheers I only knew roughly who did what eg RTD was early new who.

The show peaked somewhere around season 2-6 or so.

MarkB

Legend
Cheers I only knew roughly who did what eg RTD was early new who.

The show peaked somewhere around season 2-6 or so.
Yeah, I most enjoyed everything up to and including the first Matt Smith season. Things started getting needlessly complicated and self-referential after that, a continuing trend.

Capaldi provided a great performance as the Doctor, but wasn't well served by his stories. Whittaker did well, but the scripts and even some of the basic ideas weren't great, and they did a terrible job of balancing the wider cast.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, I most enjoyed everything up to and including the first Matt Smith season. Things started getting needlessly complicated and self-referential after that, a continuing trend.

Capaldi provided a great performance as the Doctor, but wasn't well served by his stories. Whittaker did well, but the scripts and even some of the basic ideas weren't great, and they did a terrible job of balancing the wider cast.

Wife pulled the plug two episodes into Whittaker "life's to short for bad TV".

Capaldi was great Doctor but the storrylines were the "dribbling bleep". More or less forced ourselves to watch his last season and gave up shortly after that.

Remove ads