D&D 5E Doctors & Daleks - Cubicle 7 Brings Doctor Who to D&D 5E

Cubicle 7 -- makers of the official Doctor Who roleplaying game -- has announced that the Doctor will officially be coming to 5E soon under the name Doctors and Daleks. There are no dates or details yet, over than that the Doctors and Daleks Player's Guide will launch 'soon'. A NEW COMPANION FOR YOUR ADVENTURES THROUGH ALL OF SPACE AND TIME! The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite...
Cubicle 7 -- makers of the official Doctor Who roleplaying game -- has announced that the Doctor will officially be coming to 5E soon under the name Doctors and Daleks. There are no dates or details yet, over than that the Doctors and Daleks Player's Guide will launch 'soon'.

dnd.jpg

A NEW COMPANION FOR YOUR ADVENTURES THROUGH ALL OF SPACE AND TIME!

The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite Time Lord comes to the world’s most popular roleplaying game in Doctors and Daleks. Take your gaming group into the TARDIS and travel anywhere, anywhen. Want to meet Leornado da Vinci? Or see what life is like in the year 3,000? What about another planet entirely? All of space and time is your Venusian macro-oyster, but keep your wits about you — there’s a lot of danger in the vastness of eternity.

We are delighted to announce that we are working on Doctors and Daleks – a new line of products that brings Doctor Who adventures to your table using 5th Edition rules! The first release – The Doctors and Daleks Player’s Guide will launch soon.

The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite Time Lord comes to the world’s most popular roleplaying game in Doctors and Daleks. Take your gaming group into the TARDIS and travel anywhere, anywhen.

We’ll also continue to support the new Second Edition of our award winning Doctor Who: The Roleplaying Game, with a host of new products on the way soon!

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Here’s to hoping it’s really just Doctor Who RPG 2E with the dice swapped to a d20 and no one notices but everyone buys it and plays it.

I don't think this is true at all. Many licensed RPGs are made by people who love the property and want to do more with it. They're the gaming equivalent of fan fiction in many ways - the fact that they can get approval from the license owners means they can make money off of it and make a sustainable game out of it, but that doesn't meant they don't love the property.

Some licensed RPGs are cash grabs - and they tend to be obvious ones. Look at the licensed games that West End Games produced under the Masterbook game line in the 90s to see what actual soulless cashgrab licenses look like. Cubicle 7's Doctor Who and One Ring licenses are nothing like those (nor are some other recent licensed games from other companies I could name - like the Alien game from Free League).

Working with a licensed property is more complicated and restrictive and expensive than just making your own stuff, so no one is going to go through that if they don't believe it will make them money. So money will always be first when it comes to licensed products.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It strikes me as odd that the idea here is that anybody expressing skepticism or reservations about what motivated this project must hate the people making this game and holds personal animus.
You should see some of the toxicity about this on social media. It’s way overboard. And some of it coming from the professional peers of the C7 designers. It’s incredibly unpleasant and undeserved.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
You should see some of the toxicity about this on social media. It’s way overboard. And some of it coming from the professional peers of the C7 designers. It’s incredibly unpleasant and undeserved.
Is that all on Twitter? From what I've seen here and on a Discord I'm in it's pretty much like this thread.

Voadam

Legend
I am excited for this.

I have most of the Doctor Who line but D&D is my system of choice.

I used 5e Adventures in Middle Earth Travel rules in a Gothic Horror 5e game and they turned out great. I am looking forward to some 5e Who mechanics.

When running the Reign of Winter Adventure Path I focused on Baba Yaga's chicken legged TARDIS and added a bunch of Timey-Wimey stuff, Doctor Who themes can go well with D&D in my experience.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Game designer who barely makes enough money to get by decides to create game which is likely to appeal to those can afford to buy games and who might like to buy this game.

That's not cynical or a cash grab. That's literally the bare minimum to even be in the business.

It would be nice if there was more of a social safety net. So you could pursue your creative endeavors (rpgs, novels, comics, whatever) without feeling the need to constantly hustle for gigs and monetize the fun out of your hobby. My interpretation is that that conversation is so impossible to have, in the US at least, that the frustration of not being able to live gets taken out in sometimes petty or at least low-stakes arguments over consumer ethics (in this case, whether to support wotc/5e or not).

I'm disgusted with the negative feedback from folks. It's frankly pathetic.
Here's a thought. Don't like C7 putting out a 5th ed version of DW? Don't buy it. Buy their brand new 2nd ed of their own system. By ALL of it.
Will I buy this product? Probably not. I'm not a big Who fan. But I do have players at my 5th ed table who may find other systems intimidating and may find this appealing.

Part of desiring diversity in a design sense is knowing this simple truth: Not everything is for you. Learn to not resent things that are not for you. Stop being childish and trifling.

Honestly, I may give up on gaming Twitter entirely.

Remove ads

Remove ads