D&D 5E Doctors & Daleks - Cubicle 7 Brings Doctor Who to D&D 5E

Cubicle 7 -- makers of the official Doctor Who roleplaying game -- has announced that the Doctor will officially be coming to 5E soon under the name Doctors and Daleks. There are no dates or details yet, over than that the Doctors and Daleks Player's Guide will launch 'soon'. A NEW COMPANION FOR YOUR ADVENTURES THROUGH ALL OF SPACE AND TIME! The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite...

Cubicle 7 -- makers of the official Doctor Who roleplaying game -- has announced that the Doctor will officially be coming to 5E soon under the name Doctors and Daleks. There are no dates or details yet, over than that the Doctors and Daleks Player's Guide will launch 'soon'.

dnd.jpg

A NEW COMPANION FOR YOUR ADVENTURES THROUGH ALL OF SPACE AND TIME!

The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite Time Lord comes to the world’s most popular roleplaying game in Doctors and Daleks. Take your gaming group into the TARDIS and travel anywhere, anywhen. Want to meet Leornado da Vinci? Or see what life is like in the year 3,000? What about another planet entirely? All of space and time is your Venusian macro-oyster, but keep your wits about you — there’s a lot of danger in the vastness of eternity.

We are delighted to announce that we are working on Doctors and Daleks – a new line of products that brings Doctor Who adventures to your table using 5th Edition rules! The first release – The Doctors and Daleks Player’s Guide will launch soon.

The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite Time Lord comes to the world’s most popular roleplaying game in Doctors and Daleks. Take your gaming group into the TARDIS and travel anywhere, anywhen.

We’ll also continue to support the new Second Edition of our award winning Doctor Who: The Roleplaying Game, with a host of new products on the way soon!

Weiley31

Legend
I also would like to play as a Dalek. Who watched Star Wars and insists that R2-D2 is NOT the most efficient way to portray a Dalek. While making its sole mission being to seek it out and "educate" it on proper Dalek protocol.

The only reason nobody points it out to him the stupidity of such a thing/or that it is fiction, is that it keeps it from murder hoboing..........................................................................................decently.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
It absolutely will. That’s entirely the point.
My point is that they can just sell the books as is to folks who want this version of the game rather than making special versions of them. There's almost no game material in them at all - they're mostly just descriptions of the storylines and the game material is just character stats. Once you have people aware that the game exists (which I think is part of the point of this - the number of folks on social media who didn't seem to even know that Cubicle 7 already had a Doctor Who game that had years of material available for it was somewhat surprising to me) you can pretty easily sell them those books as is without needing to invest in new printings.

Dire Bare

Legend
Then be mindful of how the words of your post give that impression.

I agree that this is an overreaction to the Cubicle 7 announcement but as I said before, I don’t think that this reaction is really about Doctor Who for 5e but some of the more troubling market trends that people are feeling about the growing influence of the 800 lb. Gorilla and designing for the hobby in ways that only continues to feed that beast.
No. I am careful with my words, or try to be, and was very intentional with them.

D&D Dr. Who not for you? That's reasonable. Do you want more original systems and less D&D adaptations? That's reasonable too. Feel that C7 is somehow pushing D&D fatigue in the market and just shouldn't be publishing this game? No, I do not accept this as a reasonable response.

It doesn't matter whether folks feel THIS game is a problem, or that the broader trend of D&D adaptations is a problem. The level of response to C7's plans is not reasonable . . . . and quite frankly makes little sense with the wealth of games out there for us right now.

Aldarc

Legend
No. I am careful with my words, or try to be, and was very intentional with them.
So you were trying to invalidate people's feelings?

D&D Dr. Who not for you? That's reasonable. Do you want more original systems and less D&D adaptations? That's reasonable too. Feel that C7 is somehow pushing D&D fatigue in the market and just shouldn't be publishing this game? No, I do not accept this as a reasonable response.

It doesn't matter whether folks feel THIS game is a problem, or that the broader trend of D&D adaptations is a problem. The level of response to C7's plans is not reasonable . . . . and quite frankly makes little sense with the wealth of games out there for us right now.
Not every reaction is proportionate to the cause. Sometimes it builds up until it explodes from the slightest spark.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
4e lost their audience, 5e kept it.
5e enabled critical role, because it seems not only fun to play but also fun to watch.
Theater of the mind is more fun to watch than people using game terms and pushing figurines over a battlemap.
I really believe without that rule system and the philosophy behind it, dnd 5e would not have gained that traction.
Odd thing to say. 4e did okay, they didn't collapse. It was time for a new edition, as these things go -- only so much selling material available. 5e wasn't because 4e collapsed (it really only did this when WotC announced it's abandonment) it was the same reason 4e came along -- it was time for a new edition. The only reason 5e has managed to last this long is because they intentionally slowed the pace of publishing and got a massive boost form external things to drive sales. Yet, here we are, already talking about the next announced edition. Did 5e collapse to make this happen?

There's a lot of strange mythology around the edition wars.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So you were trying to invalidate people's feelings?

Mod Note:
So, with your persistence on this, you look like you really want to start a fight, or bully people into agreeing with you. It is perhaps time to remember your own advice on how things are apt to appear to others, as your peers are taking exception to your approach at this point.

darjr

I crit!
Odd thing to say. 4e did okay, they didn't collapse. It was time for a new edition, as these things go -- only so much selling material available. 5e wasn't because 4e collapsed (it really only did this when WotC announced it's abandonment) it was the same reason 4e came along -- it was time for a new edition. The only reason 5e has managed to last this long is because they intentionally slowed the pace of publishing and got a massive boost form external things to drive sales. Yet, here we are, already talking about the next announced edition. Did 5e collapse to make this happen?

There's a lot of strange mythology around the edition wars.
5e was a huge hit upon release. So much so WotC thought something was wrong. They were afraid of even updating the PHB early on.

5e was in fact a response to 4e not doing nearly well enough, for a variety of reasons.

5e was a huge hit upon release. So much so WotC thought something was wrong. They were afraid of even updating the PHB early on.

5e was in fact a response to 4e not doing nearly well enough, for a variety of reasons.

5E was not purely a hit because of the miss by 4E. I also feel that a lot of people had gotten tired of the overly complex trend in Pathfinder and saw a simpler D20 system in 5E and returned in droves to the game. This was also before all the D&D streamed games became popular. Those helped cause the explosion of growth after the first couple of years of release. Plus Big Bang Theory and Stranger Things, etc.

Remove ads

Remove ads