D&D 5E Doctors & Daleks - Cubicle 7 Brings Doctor Who to D&D 5E

Cubicle 7 -- makers of the official Doctor Who roleplaying game -- has announced that the Doctor will officially be coming to 5E soon under the name Doctors and Daleks. There are no dates or details yet, over than that the Doctors and Daleks Player's Guide will launch 'soon'. A NEW COMPANION FOR YOUR ADVENTURES THROUGH ALL OF SPACE AND TIME! The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite...

Cubicle 7 -- makers of the official Doctor Who roleplaying game -- has announced that the Doctor will officially be coming to 5E soon under the name Doctors and Daleks. There are no dates or details yet, over than that the Doctors and Daleks Player's Guide will launch 'soon'.

dnd.jpg

A NEW COMPANION FOR YOUR ADVENTURES THROUGH ALL OF SPACE AND TIME!

The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite Time Lord comes to the world’s most popular roleplaying game in Doctors and Daleks. Take your gaming group into the TARDIS and travel anywhere, anywhen. Want to meet Leornado da Vinci? Or see what life is like in the year 3,000? What about another planet entirely? All of space and time is your Venusian macro-oyster, but keep your wits about you — there’s a lot of danger in the vastness of eternity.

We are delighted to announce that we are working on Doctors and Daleks – a new line of products that brings Doctor Who adventures to your table using 5th Edition rules! The first release – The Doctors and Daleks Player’s Guide will launch soon.

The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite Time Lord comes to the world’s most popular roleplaying game in Doctors and Daleks. Take your gaming group into the TARDIS and travel anywhere, anywhen.

We’ll also continue to support the new Second Edition of our award winning Doctor Who: The Roleplaying Game, with a host of new products on the way soon!

Yaarel

He Mage
I hope the Doctors & Daleks setting is genuinely compatible with 5e.

Earlier, Cubicle 7 published the Adventures In Middle Earth setting that models its Tolkien setting, The One Ring, for 5e.

There is much about this setting that I love. Its art esthetic is especially beautiful, and its mechanics succeed in generating the feel of the novels.

Yet. In the effort to stay "low magic", its classes that represent the magical archetypes are merely subpar. The Middle Earth classes are wildly unbalanced among themselves, and especially so when comparing to Players Handbook classes. I find it unworkable to mix-and-match Middle Earth with other 5e settings, and ultimately this incompatibility discourages me from getting into the 5e Adventures In Middle Earth in the first place.

I am comfortable with "miniclasses" that have less than 20 levels. A warrior class that only goes to level 12 and a mage class that only goes to level 4 - I can multiclass with these. I can mix-and-match these to enrich other 5e games.

I feel it is possible to thread the needle, to make classes that are strictly for the feel of the intended setting, while banning everything else, and still make it useful for DMs who want to borrow from it for other settings.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah. Take the core system, make all new classes. Maybe take a d20 Modern lean into it.
Exactly. I really like the basic 5e system. It doesn't do nuanced results very well without a little hacking, but not every game needs that.

I hope that the character creation engine is robust, because the personality quirks, secrets, fears, surprising strengths, loyalty, cleverness, etc, of the characters is absolutely what makes Doctor Who what it is.

Although part of me is hoping they are working on Victoriana 5E first as I'm just dying to see what they add so I can jack it and add it to my regular 5E games.

More fun, though, since both will be OGL-based, a Doctors & Daleks game that visits the Victoriana setting. They did similar a lot on the show, after all. I actually wonder if that is where the brainstorm came from to make this version?

Iamoutofhere

Explorer
Cubicle 7 are cool and I wish them well but…

I really didn’t like what they did with The One Ring for 5th Edition (Adventures in Middle Earth). The original rules (The One Ring) were much better and more evocative. I suspect it’ll be the same with this. In AIME as a player I always ended up at disadvantage because of monster ‘powers’...and that sucks. Also…playing a super armoured, defensive character with an amazing AC…creatures bypassed all that by having me make DEX saves to avoid their physical attacks (knives and such..nothing exotic)…making my character feel like a waste of time. Rubbish rules.

My biggest problem with their Doctor Who Rpg wasn’t the mechanics which looked alright from a brief look. I don’t like the modern Doctor Who shows…I’m a Troughton/Pertwee/Baker guy…and having the core book loaded with art from the newer series rubbed me the wrong way. I would have liked to see a ‘vintage’ edition with one of the older gang on the cover. I would have bought that.…but seeing the new Doctors up front and centre put me off every time. I know I am an old fart and probably not the target audience but that’s what I would have liked to see…and it might have made me a customer.

As to using D&D 5th Edition…it’s D20 glut happening all over again. It’s really boring and all about business…not trying to make the best game. I’m looking forward to Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition using 5e rules!

🤪

Yeah. D20 everything wasnt great.
A d20 attempt at WHFRP may not be to bad ( the 4th ed really is a poor system IMO) plus two big gaming titans working together may be cool
Everyone was very excited about Henry Cavills visit yesterday to Warhammer world in Nottingham.

pete284

Explorer
I think Cubicle 7 did a great job of converting Middle Earth into 5e with Adventures in Middle earth. We are 34 session into a campaign and find it familiar enough with the 5e rule mechanics to run but with some great changes to give a Middle Earth feel (Journey, Audience and Fellowship mechanics).

It will be interesting to see how they implement the Who-niverse.

Remove ads

Remove ads